• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Paypal negative balance issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal negative balance issues

Evening all, come across this forum whilst searching for advice on google. So here is my problem.

A few weeks ago I sold a brand new Samsung S6 on gumtree for £450. The buyer text me saying he will pay PayPal costs and postage if I could get the phone sent off the same day. So I agreed, and sure enough £450 appeared in my account. He also asked if I could send it to a different address as he was away from home, so again, I agreed.
    I packaged the phone up the same day and sent it to the address he requested special delivery with tracking and guaranteed next day delivery.
    Meanwhile the buyer was texting me asking if I had sent it, so I replied that I had sent it along with the tracking number.

So I thought that was that and removed the money from my PayPal into my bank account.

A few days later, I received an email from PayPal saying that the buyer had opened a case against me, claiming that he had not received the phone. So I simply checked the royal mail tracking site and found that the item had been signed for at the address he requested. So I messaged the buyer through PayPal saying about the tracking number and the fact that it had been signed for. But he was claiming that I supplied a fake tracking number.
    He then continued to escalate into a full claim where PayPal decides the outcome. So I thought how could I lose! So I supplied PayPal with the tracking number, screen shots from our whole text conversation and an explanation as to what had happened.

I then eagerly awaited an email from PayPal, and to my shock, they went his way and my balance was put into negative. So I phoned straight away to get an explanation as to how they come to that outcome. They claimed on the phone that because I did not send it to the buyers confirmed address there is nothing they could do. So I explained to the lady on the phone the whole story and she agreed that I had been scammed and the buyer now has a brand new phone and the money back. But still, they claim there is nothing they can do and I have to pay the money back.

Now surely, the fact that the lady on the phone can see that I had been scammed, there must be something they could do!
    I have "lost" my debit card since, so it is no longer linked to PayPal so there is no way that they can get any money out of my account.

Any advice on what I could do next would be greatly appreciated!
    (Sorry for the long post)
    Tags: None

Re: Paypal negative balance issues

This is why you should never agree to get an item shipped to an address not associated with the so-called buyer. It stinks that your proof is not enough to convince them.

If I were you, I'd get the cops involved.

Comment

Hello

Just came across this post. Agree totally, get the police involved. They got my case sorted out with one visit. Go to the London Fraud Police if need be - only cost you one e-mail to them and the buyer's local police - they have to investigate once you have made a complaint.

PayPal will ALWAYS, ALWAYS go with the buyer - you've been scammed and it happens all the time and PayPal are to blame. Ask for copies of PayPal e-mails from them to the Buyer (they won't give you them because they probably never sent them).

I have been in the same position twice now - one sorted by the Police and the other going to Court - so just keep on at e-Bay/PayPal/Police and your local MP - you've lost a lot of money - I wouldn't let it go.

Anyway, keep going.

Regards

Comment

Totally agree, this small time fraud takes place all the time. As you said 'it stinks' that the proof of posting/signature is not enough. PayPal are to blame totally for this fiasco, seller should get his money back on proof of posting/signature alone.

Get the police involved - great idea - I did it - it worked.

No question about your reply - perfect response.

Regards

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X