• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Possessions held in trust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possessions held in trust

I have been left some family possessions by my father, but my step-mother is allowed use of them for her lifetime.
    She lives some distance away and I may not see her again.
    I assume that if she wants to she can sell the items and there is nothing I can do to stop her (even if I knew she was going to sell them).
    Is that correct and is there anything I can do now to make sure I inherit them?
    Tags: None

Re: Possessions held in trust

'use of them for her lifetime' - I assume it isn't worded that way in the will - to know more we'll need to know the actual wording from the will.

What kind of possessions are they ?

Has your step-mother indicated she wishes to make use of or sell the possessions?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you, we have not been allowed to see the actual will, have just been verbally told. The possessions are things like family paintings and objects from the 1800s.
      My step-mother is a law unto herself and her children have not been able to stop her doing what she wants. She has not indicated she will sell anything, but if money gets tight she might like to.
      Does that help?

Comment

If the possessions have been left in trust for you then no she cannot sell them.

Is probate completed ? If so there may be a copy of the will on https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

In your other thread you said you were named as co-executor, but the estate is small so probably not gone to probate.
          As a joint executor you are as responsible as the other executor(s) for settlement of the estate, and so must have access to the will.
          First suggestion is to write requesting sight of the will, and then a meeting to discuss settlement of estate.
          If this is refused or ignored you should point out to her that she is acting illegally as the agreement of all executors is necessary when settling the estate, and if she doesn't cooperate you will be taking further steps.

In fact as the estate is small there will be little that can be done as the costs will in all probability out weigh the benefits.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X