• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Medical Negligence.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medical Negligence.

It's a bit depressing asking about this, as I can't stand what I see as the ever growing compensation culture. However, if it's a genuine and worthy cause, then it should of course be addressed. Is it ok to ask if can anyone recommend some reputable firms that will give a free opinion on a potential case? On a very basic level, It involves someone nearly dying after being admitted to hospital, getting misdiagnosed and then discharged. They suffered a lot of unnecessary pain for several days due to this as well. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Re: Medical Negligence.

I'm not recommending these per se but they do seem to be one of the best companies in this field http://www.irwinmitchell.com/persona...cal-negligence
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by ploddingon View Post
      It's a bit depressing asking about this, as I can't stand what I see as the ever growing compensation culture. However, if it's a genuine and worthy cause, then it should of course be addressed. Is it ok to ask if can anyone recommend some reputable firms that will give a free opinion on a potential case? On a very basic level, It involves someone nearly dying after being admitted to hospital, getting misdiagnosed and then discharged. They suffered a lot of unnecessary pain for several days due to this as well. Thank you.
      Have formal complaints been made to the hospital and NHS trust concerned, it's the place to start the process.

nem

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ploddingon View Post
      Have formal complaints been made to the hospital and NHS trust concerned, it's the place to start the process.

nem

Comment

Thank you both for the advice. As far as I am aware, the incident actually occurred about 18 months ago, no compliant was ever made. This was due to the person involved not wanting to sue the NHS. In my opinion, it's not just about money though. If serious negligence was involved, I believe it was, then it really needs to be identified and uncovered. Lessons learned and all of that lark...
        Last edited by ploddingon; 21st June 2015, 18:16:PM.

Comment

18 month gap and no complaint having been raised at the time, not massively in your favour xx
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            18 month gap and no complaint having been raised at the time, not massively in your favour xx
            I will see if the person involved is willing to give that firm a ring. No harm done, whatever the current situation may be. I don't think any of the facts of the case can be argued, so that is at least something.

Comment

Also clinical negligence is notoriously difficult to prove.
              A misdiagnosis is not an a priori indication of negligence; just an indication of how difficult it can be to make a correct diagnosis.

In the first instance as Nem said a complaint should be made direct to the hospital or trust involved.
              The rules are different between England and Wales.
              Here's a guide to the process in Wales http://www.ageuk.org.uk/Global/Age-C....pdf?dtrk=true
              Certainly in Wales court action is really the final step when all else fails, I don't know about England, but certainly wouldn't recommend immediately jumping to suing the NHS before examining other solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                Also clinical negligence is notoriously difficult to prove.
                A misdiagnosis is not an a priori indication of negligence; just an indication of how difficult it can be to make a correct diagnosis.
                Do these claim companies help out with initial complaints or only with legal action?

The person involved is actually my wife. She was in a lot of pain one day and we rung 111. She got taken to hospital by ambulance and was in there for about 24 hours. The diagnosis was a urinary tract infection. We really didn't think that was right, but she was discharged. In the next 24 hours she experienced massive pain, so we phoned 111 on a couple more occasions. They didn't seem to take much notice, as she had already been to hospital.

In the end, we phoned up again, telling them there must be something else involved, and insisted on a doctor coming round. A very nice chap turned up about 2a.m. and he diagnosed a blocked bowel in about 2 minutes. He seemed unimpressed that it hadn't been correctly diagnosed earlier. At 75 years old, she could have easily died, was tubed up in hospital for the next week and was very lucky to avoid surgery. We both thought they were negligent at the time, but she didn't want to take it any further.

Comment

You should make the initial complaint to NHS yourself.
                  When doing it, also request copies of all the medical notes, as you will need them if you are going to progress the matter through solicitors.
                  In Wales we have a "Speedy resolution scheme " for lower value negligence claims.( http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sites3/page....=255&pid=41525). I don't believe there is a similar scheme for England.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                    You should make the initial complaint to NHS yourself.
                    Ok, thank you.

Comment

We gave Irwin Mitchell a ring, just to ask a few background questions, and they agreed we had a case. Unfortunately, they didn't think it was worthwhile enough for them to get involved. If my wife had ended up having surgery, thank God she didn't, then it might have a been a different story. They recommended that we see what we were offered by the NHS complaints team, then reassess the situation.

Comment

That sounds sensible.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

We are getting our complaint together now and will hopefully submit it next month some time. I do feel quite strongly about this and not just on financial grounds. One of the flaws of the NHS system is things not being put right, as there is a cultural backdrop of hiding wrongdoing. I don't want to get anyone into trouble, but if this was an instance of serious incompetence, then it does need to be addressed.

One thing I forgot to mention, that me chuckle, was when the Irwin Mitchell agent spoke to said that the NHS wasn't in the habit of giving away money. He must have been oblivious to the privatisation bonanza of recent times.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X