• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pregnant and made redundant - HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pregnant and made redundant - HELP

Is this other lady trustworthy, she sates nobody else has been made redundant yet but its not clear as to if she means nobody else is up for redundancy or if she just means they up for redundancy but not yet been made redundant. I would be very careful who you discuss the situation with, especially with people connected to the employer as she may be feeding information to the employer.

Give them a week or so to reply. If no reply then it be time to proceed with a formal LETTER BEFORE ACTION!
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Yes, from what I can gather she is trustworthy and the impression I got was that nobody else has been made redundant as it stands. On that point though, they have said they decided that my OH was being made redundant on 12th June, and that 2 people were in fact going, so that doesn't link up.

Comment

I would still be very careful what you tell her though. And from the way i read the text, its difficult to determine if she meant no one else is being made redundant or if no one else was facing redundancy. It could be there was 3 in total including your OH that faced redundancy and your OH was the unfortunate one to have been selected and the other two weren't. Whether the selection process was fair is a different matter altogether!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Comment

The letters that were sent to the nursery and the other owner were signed for on July 1st. What date do I send the formal letter before action?
          [MENTION=67649]matt3942[/MENTION] - could you provide a letter for that please?

Comment

[MENTION=59438]RJH[/MENTION] - I can help you with this. You should consider exactly what you want to get out of this, i.e. if you want damages, how much? Perhaps [MENTION=19071]teaboy2[/MENTION] can help you come to an appropriate figure.
            [MENTION=19071]teaboy2[/MENTION] - is it worth including this in the LBA, in a section marked 'Without Prejudice', or in a separate letter?

- Matt
            Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

[MENTION=67649]matt3942[/MENTION] - I will need some help to ascertain what would be realistic on that side of things. One thing is safe to say - she wouldn't like to go back to working there when fit and able again after the baby.
              [MENTION=19071]teaboy2[/MENTION] any advice will be amazing.

Comment

[MENTION=67649]matt3942[/MENTION] [MENTION=19071]teaboy2[/MENTION]

My OH has just text me and sent me the picture (attached) of a bloke sitting in his car outside our house reading papers - I can only assume this is the other owner as there is no other logical reason for anyone to be turning up like that at this time of day. She hasn't answered the door to him and he has now driven off.

What do I do?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by matt3942 View Post
                  @RJH - I can help you with this. You should consider exactly what you want to get out of this, i.e. if you want damages, how much? Perhaps @teaboy2 can help you come to an appropriate figure.
                  @teaboy2 - is it worth including this in the LBA, in a section marked 'Without Prejudice', or in a separate letter?

- Matt
                  It would help, but it would have to be a reasonable amount of compensation, as a tribunal would award compensation, which could be anything for discrimination cases where such award isn't capped, but is usually capped at Ł74K, or just over for general unfair dismissal - Though you wouldn't be able to claim the basic award (capped at a years pay) if you had less than 2 years service i believe. So you would have to consider the duration of employment and what would be a reasonable amount in damages, whilst also taking in to consideration the finances of the employer and what they can or can not afford to pay, just like a tribunal would have too!

It was only the other year when the NHS were ordered to pay over Ł4 million to a former doctor that was sexually harassed and hounded out of work - Though clearly i doubt the nursery has that kind of money and your best look at a figure of a years salary or less given the duration of time spent employed by the nursery is basically just 6 months, but also maternity pay on top!

@RJH

Whilst its clearly upsetting having someone turn up at the door like that and parking on the drive way too (as looks like he is), they certainly should not be doing that! They should be communicating in writing only and not turning up at your home at least not without first making an appointment! Though at the same time, what evidence do we have that hes the other owner? Did she get the registration number? Or recognise him as the other owner?

Comment

[MENTION=19071]teaboy2[/MENTION] my OH believes it to be the other owner from what she can remember and he fits the age bracket he falls into according to Companies House.

She didn't get the reg number totally, but is there any harm in driving past where he lives to obtain it and check?
                    [MENTION=67649]matt3942[/MENTION] - when should I be sending the final letter? The previous ones were both signed for on July 1st.

Comment

NO harm in checking, if its the same car etc then you will know, take picture of it in his drive too so you have proof it the same make and model and the reg matches even if your OH only got partial reg!

Comment

OK, so there is a letter waiting at home for me to open (my OH doesn't want to open it), which had to be collected from the PO. I can only assume that it is a reply from one of the two owners.

I will also be going to find the car at the address later on and snap a couple of pictures, because I find it wrong that my OH has been signed off from work because of them, and they have turned up unannounced and parked right behind her car, in effect blocking it in until they left.

I will update you and attach relevant documents tonight.

Comment

Why have you got to pick the letter up from the post office, or was there no stamp on it or not enough stamps?!

And yes it is wrong to just turn up like that!

Comment

Sorry, to clear the confusion, I believe it was sent recorded delivery with signature required yesterday but she wasn't in, so collected it earlier.
                            I will open it when I get home as my OH doesn't want to read it.

This begs the question in my head of why (if this car is the other owner) did he turn up shortly after the postman would have been to deliver the letter?

Comment

Originally posted by RJH View Post
                              Sorry, to clear the confusion, I believe it was sent recorded delivery with signature required yesterday but she wasn't in, so collected it earlier.
                              I will open it when I get home as my OH doesn't want to read it.

This begs the question in my head of why (if this car is the other owner) did he turn up shortly after the postman would have been to deliver the letter?
                              Well hes not forced to have been aware of all thats happening, and maybe was wanting to discuss matter after receiving the copies of the letters. So hes not forced to have known another letter from the nursery was in the post to you.

Comment

That's fair enough I guess.
                                But weird if the two owners haven't spoken together and agreed what to do?

Still, he shouldn't just be turning up unannounced, could that be put forward in any ET? Obviously this depends on whether it was him to begin with in any case!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X