• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Possible unfair disciplinary which may lead to dismissal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible unfair disciplinary which may lead to dismissal

Long story, bear with me.

I work part time on a zero hour contract and about a month or two ago we find out our senior managers have had a meeting with financial advisor's (our supervisors/managers told us) who told them that they needed to cut shifts etc.

For the first week or so only their second shop was effected, but then my shop started getting hit as well. They changed most of the 6 hour shifts to 5 and a half hours (so we have to work for the maximum amount of time without getting breaks) and a lot of our total weekly hours have been hit (I've gone from around 16+ to 10).

Anyway I was working a 5 hour shift the other week when half way through I tell my colleagues i'm just off to the loo and pop off quickly, which was fine at that point (we're allowed to go for as many loo breaks as we want however we only get an 'official break' which lasts 20mins on a 6 hour shift). On my way I picked up a couple of packs of chicken as I had forgotten to bring some with me and needed some for tea that evening (This is common practice in my work, you pick things up you want to buy and hide it / eat it out the back then pay for it when your shifts finished. We're not supposed to do it but literally everyone does, and up to this point no one has ever been punished or moaned at for it.)

Anyway, shortly after peeing I decide (because i'm starving) to eat a couple of slices of chicken (putting the rest back in my locker) and then proceed back onto the shop floor having been gone in total no longer than 4 or 5 minutes (this is a relatively short time considering some people take regular 5-10minute toilet breaks in a single shift). Only to find that a supervisor who doesn't like me has reported me to senior management for taking an 'unauthorised break'. A member of senior management comes in, calls me into the office and asks me a load of questions before giving me a letter to say i've got a disciplinary meeting next Tuesday which may include my dismissal.

Can someone help me understand this please? Literally no one else is being punished or has even been moaned at for taking items before paying for them even though everyone did and still does it? and the only difference between my toilet break and everyone else's is I ate like 2 slices of chicken whilst there? I feel like they're singling me out.

I'd probably understand it had I been gone for ages or had I gone for multiple trips but I hadn't! on my entire 5 hour shift I was gone for one 4-5 minute loo break where I happened to eat a couple of slices of chicken whilst there. Worse yet, my brother who works at their second shop tells me his colleagues and himself regularly take food out the back to eat, and even do it in front of the cameras and managers and nothing has every been said to them!

I'm very much aware that my employer has been taken to court several times before for unfair dismissals and lost. That combined with their recent meeting with a financial advisor has me worried that they're just trying to find any excuse they can to cut several members of staff.

I should probably point out at this stage that as of yet, in the two years I have worked there, I have never received any kind of verbal or written warning nor have I ever been in any kind of 'trouble' with management before.

Other points which may also point to possible wrong doing by my employer are: they regularly try to change our 20minute break on 6 hour shifts to 10 or 15 minute breaks, and on evening shifts we're only paid till 10pm yet most nights will be stuck in the shop 'closing up' for an additional 5 or 10 minutes because we're not allowed to start shut down until its nearly 10 (it use to be we couldn't start closing until it was exactly 10pm which meant we'd be forced to do an extra 10-15minutes unpaid overtime (one supervisor from the other shop being disciplined when she tried to close up at 9.55pm so that the staff would be able to finish shortly after 10.))

Any help or advice is appreciated!
    Tags: None

Re: Possible unfair disciplinary which may lead to dismissal

Hi [MENTION=68267]Reeok[/MENTION] - welcome to the forum.

If you are on a zero-hour contract your employer doesn't have to offer you a fixed number of hours every day/week/month. However, you've said you're working regular shifts, so I would question the validity of your zero-hour contract. I'm not going to get into that though.

If you are on a zero-hour contract your employer doesn't need to go through the disciplinary process to dismiss you. It can simply not offer you any more hours. So it's unlikely that's the reason for the disciplinary, unless the employer is that naïve.

As for taking food from the shop and eating it, that is essentially theft, despite your intention to pay for it at the end of your shift. When you say it's 'common practice', are the supervisors/managers aware this is happening?

Regularly trying to change your breaks is not the same as actually stopping you taking your full 20m break. If they were actually stopping you, and you have evidence of it, you might have something useful. IMO having to stay 10-15m late isn't right but it's quite common in many organisations where there are opening/closing procedures. What does your contract say about this (if anything)?

- Matt
    Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

I agree with the points @matt3942 makes.

Regarding the zero hour contracts and you getting regular fixed hours, Matt was hinting that depending on how long you have been on those fixed hours its likely your on an fixed hourly contract via custom and practice.

Also if the senior managers knew about the taken food of the shelf and paying afterwards and that is a common practice amongst staff at yours and other shops/branches then your likely covered via customary practice due to the company allowing to to happen and not putting a stop to it. Though i wouldn't say it was theft as in order for it to be theft then they same rules applied to shoplifting would have to be applied, therefore its not theft until you leave the store without paying. Technically you can go to a supermarket pick a sandwich of the shelve, eat it on way round the aisle and simply give the cashier the empty sandwich packaging in order to pay for it - Because so long as you pay for it or attempt to pay for it, then there is no theft, as in order for it to be theft there has to be a clear deliberate attempt to not pay for it!

Now what does the letter informing you of the disciplinary hearing (@matt3942 notice they skipped investigatory stage?) say is the reason for disciplinary?

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 require the provision of suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities at readily accessible places for use by employees. It is therefore an implicit duty on the employer to ensure reasonable access to safe and clean toilet facilities to all employees. Therefore an Employer has an implied duty under health and safety laws to protect the health and well being of employees this means they are duty bound to all you reasonable access to and usage of the toilets as an when the need to use them occurs!
      Last edited by teaboy2; 18th June 2015, 08:18:AM.
      Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
        Though i wouldn't say it was theft as in order for it to be theft then they same rules applied to shoplifting would have to be applied, therefore its not theft until you leave the store without paying. Technically you can go to a supermarket pick a sandwich of the shelve, eat it on way round the aisle and simply give the cashier the empty sandwich packaging in order to pay for it - Because so long as you pay for it or attempt to pay for it, then there is no theft, as in order for it to be theft there has to be a clear deliberate attempt to not pay for it!
        The problem is that intention is difficult to prove, which is why I asked if supervisors/managers are aware that this goes on.

Originally posted by teaboy2 View Post
        The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 require the provision of suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences and washing facilities at readily accessible places for use by employees. It is therefore an implicit duty on the employer to ensure reasonable access to safe and clean toilet facilities to all employees. Therefore an Employer has an implied duty under health and safety laws to protect the health and well being of employees this means they are duty bound to all you reasonable access to and usage of the toilets as an when the need to use them occurs!
        This isn't relevant. Employers have a duty to provide the facilities as you described, but employers are not obligated to allow employees to use those facilities outside their normal rest breaks.

- Matt
        Disclaimer: I am not a qualified solicitor. Nothing provided herein should be used as a substitute for professional legal advice. As legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, you should seek professional legal advice before acting upon any opinion, advice or information provided herein.

Comment

Originally posted by matt3942 View Post
          The problem is that intention is difficult to prove, which is why I asked if supervisors/managers are aware that this goes on.

Yes i know, i was simply advising the OP of that!

This isn't relevant. Employers have a duty to provide the facilities as you described, but employers are not obligated to allow employees to use those facilities outside their normal rest breaks.

Actually it is relevant, as not allowing employees reasonable toilet breaks can effect their health, safety and welfare - So it does fall under health and safety laws. Whilst there is no legal right to toilet breaks par se, there is an implied duty on employers to act reasonably to ensure the protection of their employees health, safety and welfare and to provide adequate facilities and arrangements for welfare at work (i.e. a policy on toilet breaks allowing reasonable usage). Refusal of toilet breaks can lead to low morale (which eventually can lead to depression), which makes it a health and welfare issue, and it can cause other health issues if employees are forced to hold it in!

Its also a mutual trust issue, as needing the toilet is a basic human need and you would reasonable trust the employer to allow you reasonable use of the toilet as an when you need it - after all we're not robots! That's the general consensus anyway.

- Matt
          See above in red
          Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X