• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extortion and threat of identity fraud

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extortion and threat of identity fraud

I have been threatened by my ex-housemate with opening a utility account in my name unless I pay him money he thinks I owe him.
    He says he will put me in debt. We lived together in a house few years ago.

I'm wondering how easy it is to do that. Will it show on my credit report when he opens it ? How utility companies check an identity of a person who sets up a new account ? Is it possible, having just someone's name (and possibly the date of birth) to open a new account ? He doesn't know where I live now but he knows the address of the house we shared.

As far as I'm concerned his demand is an extortion but please correct me if I'm wrong. Is there anybody I can report it to ? I've been to the police but they considered it to be harassment not an extortion and because I got into a conversation with him they refused to investigate it.

Thanks for any answers
    Tags: None

Re: Extortion and threat of identity fraud

Account with who? if its water company then there will only be one supplier where he lives.
    If its electric or gas at the house you shared and you know the supplierat the moment you should warn them

Comment

It can be any company.
      I can warn the suppliers but he can, for example, take a mobile phone contract in my name using the address of the house we shared or the house he's living in now (although in this case I'm not sure if it would affect my credit score)

Comment

• Contact CIFAS (the UK’s Fraud Prevention Service) to apply for protective registration. Once you have registered you should be aware that CIFAS members will carry out extra checks to see when anyone, including you, applies for a financial service, such as a loan, using your address.

CIFAS – The UK’s Fraud Prevention Service
        Capital House
        E-State
        Bankhead Crossway South
        Edinburgh
        EH11 4EP
        https://ico.org.uk/

Comment

That's a good idea, thanks.
          I've had a look at the list of their members. Not all companies are on it but it gives some level of protection.

Comment

If he does open ANY account in your name ANYWHERE, that is Identity Theft and is a criminal offence. The service you want from CIFAS is protective registration and costs around £12/year
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

https://www.cifas.org.uk/pr_for_individuals

How does it work?

When you request Protective Registration, we place a warning flag against your name and other personal details in our National Fraud Database.

This tells any organisation that uses Cifas data to pay special attention when your details are used to apply for their products or services. Knowing you're at risk, they'll carry out extra checks to make sure it's really you applying, and not a fraudster using your details.

Cifas Protective Registration does not affect your credit score. It is a fraud prevention measure and not a form of insurance against losses caused by fraud. You can have your Protective Registration removed at any time.

£20 a year xx
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Apologies, £20/year.
                Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thanks for the advice,

It seems it's possible to open an account in someone's name.
                  Do you know if a newly opened account shows on the Experian credit report ?

I will have to keep an eye on it and register with CIFAS.
                  I'm also thinking about reporting this to the police over the phone as an extortion that's racially aggravated because he used racial language when he demanded money.

Comment

Sounds like Blackmail to me - which is a criminal offence

Comment

Originally posted by Greg123 View Post
                      I'm also thinking about reporting this to the police over the phone as an extortion that's racially aggravated because he used racial language when he demanded money.
                      I think that would be a good idea.
                      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X