• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council transferred the arranged debt to equita

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• council transferred the arranged debt to equita

Hello everyone,

Initially I would like to thank everyone here with their broad range of useful and relaxing knowledges and advices.

I have a concern regarding my husband old (more then 10 years) council tax.

We agreed with the council on a payment plan and were paying through on-line. However somehow the council transferred the debt to the Equita while we still paying the outstanding debt. Equita began to send us letters for nearly every 3 days. They threatening us to remove our goods.

We called the council to discuss this situation and the person on the phone from council told that we should discuss this matter with equita hence we called equita and explained them that we already arranged a payment plan with the council before they transferred us to them. However they never listened us and still sending us threatening letters. They sent us a removal order today and thereupon we called them and tried to re-explain that we already paying the debt weekly. The person told that they were not inform by the council so we called back to council. the person on the phone told that they will not deal with us any more so we must deal with equita. We tried to arrange a payment plan with equita but they wont accept the amount what we can afford and already agreed with the council.

By the way I am suffering from chronic depression and on heavy antidepressants from years and years and this problem making my depression is really but really worse.

my question is can the council transfer a debtor to the deb collection agency after the arrangement was made?

Kind regards all

Jade
    Tags: None

Re: council transferred the arranged debt to equita

I think a Formal Complaint to the Council needs to go in, a copy sent to Equita informing them that a formal complaint has been made. I am sure someone will be along shortly with a template or words of advice of what to send them.

Comment

I wonder if these council back offices are run by Equita/Capita?

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
        I wonder if these council back offices are run by Equita/Capita?
        Most likely, so you need to contact your local councillor ASAP, explain to them what has happened, and ask him to assist due to your apparent vulnerability. Then if you were paying an arrangement get that Formal Complaint in to Head of Revenues, CEO, Elected Leader, and your shiny new MP who needs to see what a greedy undemocratic shopwer Capita PLC is. Capita own Equita, see where this is going.

What council is this please?

Comment

OP may be vulnerable, liable person (husband) no indication of vulnerability.

So that is probably a bit of a non starter.

I would want to know how much the debt is and the rate it is being paid off? How on earth have you got a 10 year old council tax debt?

Comment

I would want to know why the debt was passed on, without first contacting the debtors.

It makes no difference how old the debt is or how much was being paid, an agreement had been made. If the council wanted to review it, the correct course of action was to discuss it with the debtor. Legislation is in place to empower the council access to information from the debtors and also to make attachments to either earnings or benefits. The lgo will have a field day with this if payments have been made on time.

Comment

Originally posted by L.Bizzy View Post
              I would want to know why the debt was passed on, without first contacting the debtors.

It makes no difference how old the debt is or how much was being paid, an agreement had been made. If the council wanted to review it, the correct course of action was to discuss it with the debtor. Legislation is in place to empower the council access to information from the debtors and also to make attachments to either earnings or benefits. The lgo will have a field day with this if payments have been made on time.
              Agreed L.Bizzy I think this is deffo a Crapita infested council, and OP should contact their local council for assistance. One vulnerable person in the household should render the household vulnerable.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X