• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pay Withheld - No Contracts - He Said/She Said Dispute Help Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay Withheld - No Contracts - He Said/She Said Dispute Help Required

Hi everyone,

I am currently owed £4200 by a construction firm but was working on a self employed basis, with no written contract. I realise I've dug myself a hole.

The money owed is a basic consultancy fee, plus purchasing materials on behalf of the company. I have been paid the same fee for 3 or 4 months and have been reimbursed for other materials previously.

The company's argument for withholding monies is that a project I was overseeing has gone overbudget and I am also liable for loss charges from a toolhire centre as I was the middle man between them and the Site Management (note that a Director always had the final say in decision making). I "agreed to work free of charge" to, in essence, reimburse the company due to these losses. As such, I owe them more than they owe me.

I'm not sure how common sense can be translated into legal jargon.
    1. Who would agree to work for free (the commute is 50 miles each way to begin with, I have to pay my rent, my bills etc)
    2. Why was I kept on with such substantial losses (circa £20,000), surely they should have employed someone better qualified
    3. There is no direct link between myself and said allegations - works were priced and started by Others. Evidence was requested but has not been forthcoming.
    4. If I had caused such devastation and agreed to work for free, why was there nothing put in writing because surely plummeting myself into debt, burning through my savings etc to recoup the losses is a pretty big thing not to sign a contract for

I am fully aware of this being a scare tactic and have been offered £1000 without prejudice. I have been told their legal costs would be £5000.

It now comes down to a he said/she said argument. I was confident that going through small claims would be successful for me, however due to the costs involved it is an option I would like to avoid. That and due to the he said/she said factor I'm not certain I would be awarded the full value? I would say that I have an implied contract based on a payment history, but couldn't they do the same with regards to said losses?

I'd like to get some feedback and opinions from yourselves. I have approached a local solicitor but it's been the best part of two weeks and very little progress has been made with regards to if this should be chased legally/if I'm stuck and should just take the offered money/if litigation with the intent to chase legally would result in a payout, as the reasons for non-payment are fictitious.

I'd like to clarify that
    1. I never agreed to work for free, nor was there ever any agreement stating losses would be taken out of my pay
    2. The company has lost money on the project and a sub-contractor did disappear with an item of equipment hence the loss hire charge

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
    Tags: None

Re: Pay Withheld - No Contracts - He Said/She Said Dispute Help Required

Originally posted by CharlieDoodle View Post
    Hi everyone,

I am currently owed £4200 by a construction firm but was working on a self employed basis, with no written contract. I realise I've dug myself a hole.

The money owed is a basic consultancy fee, plus purchasing materials on behalf of the company. I have been paid the same fee for 3 or 4 months and have been reimbursed for other materials previously.

The company's argument for withholding monies is that a project I was overseeing has gone overbudget and I am also liable for loss charges from a toolhire centre as I was the middle man between them and the Site Management (note that a Director always had the final say in decision making). I "agreed to work free of charge" to, in essence, reimburse the company due to these losses. As such, I owe them more than they owe me.

I'm not sure how common sense can be translated into legal jargon.
    1. Who would agree to work for free (the commute is 50 miles each way to begin with, I have to pay my rent, my bills etc)
    2. Why was I kept on with such substantial losses (circa £20,000), surely they should have employed someone better qualified
    3. There is no direct link between myself and said allegations - works were priced and started by Others. Evidence was requested but has not been forthcoming.
    4. If I had caused such devastation and agreed to work for free, why was there nothing put in writing because surely plummeting myself into debt, burning through my savings etc to recoup the losses is a pretty big thing not to sign a contract for

I am fully aware of this being a scare tactic and have been offered £1000 without prejudice. I have been told their legal costs would be £5000.

It now comes down to a he said/she said argument. I was confident that going through small claims would be successful for me, however due to the costs involved it is an option I would like to avoid. That and due to the he said/she said factor I'm not certain I would be awarded the full value? I would say that I have an implied contract based on a payment history, but couldn't they do the same with regards to said losses?

I'd like to get some feedback and opinions from yourselves. I have approached a local solicitor but it's been the best part of two weeks and very little progress has been made with regards to if this should be chased legally/if I'm stuck and should just take the offered money/if litigation with the intent to chase legally would result in a payout, as the reasons for non-payment are fictitious.

I'd like to clarify that
    1. I never agreed to work for free, nor was there ever any agreement stating losses would be taken out of my pay
    2. The company has lost money on the project and a sub-contractor did disappear with an item of equipment hence the loss hire charge

Thanks in advance.

Charlie
    Regarding losses, your not liable for them going over their own budget. They would have to prove you were contractually liable which would be difficult for them to do so without a written contract or terms regarding liability when things went over budget for them. And if the loss hire charge related to someone else stealing the item of equipment, then the person that took it is liable not you. Your not liable for the project budget or it going overbudget. You were contracted to provide a service to which you were paid for providing said service which was to be a consultant and arrange purchase of materiel required you have done that, therefore they should pay you.

I think the fact they have offered you £1,000 prior to court hearing (i assume this is already pre-hearing or pre-trial stage) shows they clearly don't want to risk losing in court where they would have to pay you even more. So that says they are not over confident about their own position.

I think the evidence of past payments for consulting fee and purchasing of materials is proof they owe you.
    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Thanks, glad to know I'm not barking mad.

I've PM'd you a bit more information, but yes this is pre-trial.
      Last edited by CharlieDoodle; 20th May 2015, 14:26:PM.

Comment

Have PM'd you back.

For benefit of other members, there was no real further details about the claim itself, just protocol issues and concerns that are common occurrence but don't necessarily effect the final outcome.
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X