• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Caught shoplifting - help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught shoplifting - help!

I was caught shoplifting in a high street store. So so dumb - I did it for the most stupid reason. The item in question was less than a
    total of £5. I took the tags off a multipack and took one item, leaving the rest.
    I was apprehended as I reached the doors of the store. I hid said item in my trouser leg - the CCTV had captured it all. I was asked to remove said item then taken to the 'Detention Centre' downstairs. The door wasn't locked though but I think they knew I wasn't going to do a runner as I freaked out as I've never done something so stupid before - i explained that I wanted one of the items, not the others, so I took that one item.
    The managerial security guard proceeded to ask me loads of personal questions like 'what do you do, what do your parents do' and berated me a bit (fair enough). He asked me to empty one of my bags and went through my others. He asked for ID - photocopied my drivers license, asked me to recite the details back to him. One of the people took a picture of me. They gave me an RLP form saying about Data protection blah blah and where I'd pay my costs to when I receieve them. They also took my email address.
    I wasn't asked to sign anything.

I'm freaking OUT! Advice please?
    Tags: None

Re: Caught shoplifting - help!

Hi and welcome to LB.
    Stop worrying is first thing.
    The chances are you willnot hear again from the store, but you will hear from RLP.
    However the advice is always ignore RLP.
    Do not respond to any of their fatuous demands for money.
    They do not "fine" you, only courts levy fines. RLP send demands for money.
    Their demands will last between 9 and 18 months, and they may even pass it to other DCAs (who you should also ignore)
    On one occasion they took two people to court, and received a drubbing from the judge. They have not tried that again!
    Link to court case: http://www.farrarsbuilding.co.uk/cms...-v-B-K_001.pdf
    and a couple of similar threads here on LB
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ght=rlp+oxford
    http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...ght=rlp+oxford

Cease worrying and ignore (unless by some miracle you receive genuine court papers in which case come back here)

Comment

Originally posted by Slimshades View Post
      The managerial security guard proceeded to ask me loads of personal questions like 'what do you do, what do your parents do' and berated me a bit (fair enough). He asked me to empty one of my bags and went through my others. He asked for ID - photocopied my drivers license, asked me to recite the details back to him. One of the people took a picture of me. They gave me an RLP form saying about Data protection blah blah and where I'd pay my costs to when I receieve them. They also took my email address.
      I wasn't asked to sign anything.

I'm freaking OUT! Advice please?
      Hi Slimshades,

I'm going through something similar so can understand some of what you're feeling. I've been advised, by des8 who posted above, and others to simply ignore the letters and not engage into any contact with them (i.e., reply with your side of the story). They didn't take as many details from me, though (no photo or email) but maybe that difference is due to the company protocol.

I'm not certain, but I think them [on-site security staff] searching through one of your bags is illegal? At least without police presence? I'd appreciate clarification on that! It happened to me, although I held my innocence so complied at the time without wanting police called or to stay too long.

But anyway, as advised by des8 and as I'd expect others to advise, ignore them but expect and be on the lookout for a number of letters from RLP every 14-21 days (a month, sometimes). Oh, and I'm assuming you've been issued a store ban? I was apparently given a life ban (one guard said 3-6 months first... no document confirmation, nothing signed) by an angry security guard telling me on my way out of the store when next I visited following the incident and haven't been back since.

Comment

Originally posted by Usiaw View Post
        Hi Slimshades,
        I'm not certain, but I think them [on-site security staff] searching through one of your bags is illegal? At least without police presence? I'd appreciate clarification on that! It happened to me, although I held my innocence so complied at the time without wanting police called or to stay too long.
        The security staff (like any member of the public) can ask to rummage through your bags!
        If you decline their request, but they search your bags without your permission they leave themselves open to a criminal complaint.
        Only a police officer has the right to search you.
        By searching your bags without permission they also lay themselves open to a charge of contaminating any evidence... after all they could have planted the goods they claim you took whilst rummaging.
        Last edited by Kati; 30th May 2015, 16:41:PM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X