• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Capquest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capquest

Hi everyone
    i have a bit of a problem. I was living in the UK until August 2010, I was separated from my then husband and decided to leave permanently as I wanted a divorce. I had racked up quite a lot of debt about £4500 worth. I was under the silly impression that my ex would take care of it.........so I was naive ignorant and not the brightest bulb. I have now returned to the UK this year, living with my new partner. Last night the phone rang at 9pm and the caller ask for me by name. I asked who was calling and he said capquest. I asked what it was in connection with and he said he could not tell me unless I went through security questions with him.......I said I won't give out any info about anything until they tell us who they were and what they wanted. He said they had sent out 10 letters and I had not responded and if I had I would know what it was about. I honestly have not received a single letter from them, it might have been sent to my old address of nearly 5yrs ago. My partner took the phone and asked where they got his number from as it was a work line, ex directory/tps number. They said they did not know this......as my partner kept questioning them as to who they were and what they wanted the guy got frustrated and landed up hanging up. I'm not working at the moment, I'm terrified these people are going to rock up at my door and barge in. I know I owe money, I know now it did not just disappear, I'm trying to get on my feet again, I'm not working at the moment and just don't know where to turn. How should I proceed? What is the best course of action? Thank you in advance for any advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Capquest

Hi welcome to LB,

You are right no to engage with Capquest on the phone, keep all dealings in writing!
    Do nothing until Capquest puts something in writing.

Capquest is just a debt purchaser/debt collection company, they are not bailiffs and have
    no legal powers to enter your home.

Should anyone visit( unlikely) you do not have to speak to them at all, just " invite them to go away".

Now your partner has told them the "status" of his phone number they should stop calling.
    What concerns me is that if Capquest has been writing to an old address they could send
    court papers to that address and if these are not responded to they can get a " judgement
    by default".

Please if you can answer the following points..

1. Who do think may have been the original creditor?
    2. What type of account would this have been loan/credit card/ current account/overdraft?
    3. Is it the case that no payments have been made to any of these old debt for 5 years or more?

Suggestion:

Check your credit reference files for any old accounts ( Noddle from Call Credit is free online).

Lastly please don't get stressed over this, no one is going to come to your home and barge in!!
    There is a wealth of help, experience and knowledge here on LB to help you through every stage
    of this situation.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Mother hen View Post
      Hi everyone
      i have a bit of a problem. I was living in the UK until August 2010, I was separated from my then husband and decided to leave permanently as I wanted a divorce. I had racked up quite a lot of debt about £4500 worth. I was under the silly impression that my ex would take care of it.........so I was naive ignorant and not the brightest bulb. I have now returned to the UK this year, living with my new partner. Last night the phone rang at 9pm and the caller ask for me by name. I asked who was calling and he said capquest. I asked what it was in connection with and he said he could not tell me unless I went through security questions with him.......I said I won't give out any info about anything until they tell us who they were and what they wanted. He said they had sent out 10 letters and I had not responded and if I had I would know what it was about. I honestly have not received a single letter from them, it might have been sent to my old address of nearly 5yrs ago. My partner took the phone and asked where they got his number from as it was a work line, ex directory/tps number. They said they did not know this......as my partner kept questioning them as to who they were and what they wanted the guy got frustrated and landed up hanging up. I'm not working at the moment, I'm terrified these people are going to rock up at my door and barge in. I know I owe money, I know now it did not just disappear, I'm trying to get on my feet again, I'm not working at the moment and just don't know where to turn. How should I proceed? What is the best course of action? Thank you in advance for any advice.

hello Nem

im not sure if I am replying in the correct place, new to the site and a bit of a technophobe.
      my debt was with 4 places (that I know of and im not trying to be difficult there)
      2 credit cards
      1 clothing store
      1 mobile phone store
      since I left in august 2010 no payments have been made.

I have tried to check my credit score online but don't seem to be able to do it as I was out of the country and they ask for last 5 years history...........and seem to only accept uk addresses.
      I have that sick feeling of worry and panic and I feel totally helpless as I have no knowledge of the laws here. I am very grateful for your help and advice
      thank you

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
        Hi welcome to LB,

You are right no to engage with Capquest on the phone, keep all dealings in writing!
        Do nothing until Capquest puts something in writing.

Capquest is just a debt purchaser/debt collection company, they are not bailiffs and have
        no legal powers to enter your home.

Should anyone visit( unlikely) you do not have to speak to them at all, just " invite them to go away".

Now your partner has told them the "status" of his phone number they should stop calling.
        What concerns me is that if Capquest has been writing to an old address they could send
        court papers to that address and if these are not responded to they can get a " judgement
        by default".

Please if you can answer the following points..

1. Who do think may have been the original creditor?
        2. What type of account would this have been loan/credit card/ current account/overdraft?
        3. Is it the case that no payments have been made to any of these old debt for 5 years or more?

Suggestion:

Check your credit reference files for any old accounts ( Noddle from Call Credit is free online).

Lastly please don't get stressed over this, no one is going to come to your home and barge in!!
        There is a wealth of help, experience and knowledge here on LB to help you through every stage
        of this situation.

nem
        hello Nem

im not sure if I am replying in the correct place, new to the site and a bit of a technophobe.
        my debt was with 4 places (that I know of and im not trying to be difficult there)
        2 credit cards
        1 clothing store
        1 mobile phone store
        since I left in august 2010 no payments have been made.

I have tried to check my credit score online but don't seem to be able to do it as I was out of the country and they ask for last 5 years history...........and seem to only accept uk addresses.
        I have that sick feeling of worry and panic and I feel totally helpless as I have no knowledge of the laws here. I am very grateful for your help and advice
        thank you

Comment

UPDATE:

I have just received another phone call from capquest. they say they bought the number from Experian.
          I had called Experian this morning to get help with getting a one off credit report on myself as I was struggling with the address issue and apparently the number I called from showed up on the screen and somehow has now been sold on.
          capquest words when asked where they got this business number from were, "hold on and I will just have a look,........aaahhhh yes, we bought it from Experian"
          when I called Experian this morning for help with the online request the first thing I asked them was, "is this all confidential?" to which they replied, "yes, of course"
          they said they never sell on information and want to investigate it further, they never want this to happen in the future, blah blah blah blah - does not really help me now does it.
          panic panic panic.

Comment

Hi, you're in the right place no problem just keep to this thread!
            Ok if you don't know what Capquest is after then you cannot respond it is that simple
            at this stage.

The real concern is that if they don't have your " new" address documents are being sent elsewhere.
            I don't suppose there is any chance of checking the old address for post?
            I do wonder however how they got your partners phone number linked to you.

Debt in the UK is a matter for civil law not criminal law. Capquest buys debt for pence in the pound and tries to collect the full balance.

They are not bailiffs and have not rights to enter your home, take goods etc.

Comment

Hi again

do you know if experian was allowed to sell the telephone number that I was calling from onto capquest? I asked them and they said the number I was calling from had showed up on their screen but that they would not sell it on. Clearly someone did as capquest got it and told me the bought it from Experian and I was wondering if this was legal?

Comment

Data sharing, it's part of the function of the CRA's. when one signs a credit agreement invariably there is a clause about sharing your personal data with CRA's and other " interested" parties.

nem

Comment

Hi
                  i did not sign anything with experian
                  i just requested a credit check. I had no idea they would actually sell my info onto a debt collectors.
                  i did not think they were allowed to do that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X