• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

speeding endorsement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• speeding endorsement

Hi, newbie reporting...

I am a Brit expat living in Thailand.

Towards the end of last year I applied for and received a UK photocard driving license, to replace my pinkie.

At the time I did not notice that the counterpart to my photocard license shows an endorsement for speeding together with a fine of £135 and 3 penalty points. The date of the offence is given as 24 March 2012.

I have never had any endorsements, and also had no knowledge of this offence until recently. My passport confirms I was in Thailand on that date and for several months before and after, so I could not have committed this offence, but as I have obviously not paid the fine it may be that I am confronted with legal complications at some future time.

Is it possible to challenge the endorsement, more than 3 years after it was issued?

On a side note, is it possible to find out the registration details of the vehicle I was supposedly driving? This would likely point to the person responsible for fingering me in my absence. I am quite sure I know who this is, a homeless 'friend' that I allowed to stay in my flat whilst I was travelling (I know, never again), which resulted in him stealing a load of my property and also using my credit and debit cards without my knowledge or consent to the tune of more than £10,000.

tia
    Tags: None

Re: speeding endorsement

Contact the DVLA.

M1

Comment

Update: I contacted Brighton Magistrates Court, and their reply was:

You were charged with the following;

On 24/03/2012 at HOVE drove a motor vehicle, namely VOLKSWAGEN index number R764SYC, on a restricted road, namely SHIRLEY DRIVE, at a speed exceeding 30 miles per hour Contrary to sections 81(1) and 89(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988. Contrary to sections 81(1) and 89(1) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 and Schedule 2 to the Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988.

If you were unaware of the proceedings against you then you can make a statutory declaration, however you would need to do this in person at court. If granted then your case may be reopened allowing you to plead and depending on that your case could be dealt with on the day or ajourned off for trial.

Kind regards
      xx
      ------------------------------------------------------------------

The implication is that anybody can use my driving license details without my knowledge or consent to avoid their own traffic charges.

And then, should I discover the fraud and also dare to challenge an erroneous conviction, the cost and inconvenience of making a 12,000 mile round trip to the UK court would be far more than the fine. And this assumes the best case scenario, that when I 'appear in person' at the court the case will be address and resolved immediately, which is between unlikely and fantasy.

Thoughts and/or ideas welcomed.

Comment

Not in your case but others may allow someone to drive using their name insyrance etc and when they break the law and are convicted be in the same situation as you .

Would be easy to just say it was not me I know nothing and get off this way by appearing in person its says more than a letter or phone call.

It does happen that people agree to someone using their ID. watch some reality Police shows or ask a traffic police officer

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          Not in your case but others may allow someone to drive using their name insyrance etc and when they break the law and are convicted be in the same situation as you .

Would be easy to just say it was not me I know nothing and get off this way by appearing in person its says more than a letter or phone call.

It does happen that people agree to someone using their ID. watch some reality Police shows or ask a traffic police officer
          I live in Thailand, which makes appearing in person a bit inconvenient and expensive.

Assuming I did make a trek to Brighton Mags, it's between unlikely and fantasy to expect that the case would be dealt with the same day.

Aside from somebody blotting my unblemished driving record of more than 45 years, as mentioned in my OP my concern is that if this is not resolved I may be confronted with legal complications on a future visit to Britland.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X