• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

RE: CCJ/Debt Recovery Advice!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE: CCJ/Debt Recovery Advice!

Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I have a debt with Natwest (circa £24k), I have a CCJ against me for it and there is a charge on my home.

Initially I had letters from Shoosmiths and I sent one or two back stating I could pay £40 a month but it was never accepted; I now get letters from Dryden Fairfax stating similar things about reverting to client and taking further action etc.

I defaulted on the debt (a loan) in 2010 due to personal circumstances; The CCJ was 2012 I think.

How serious should I take this or can I get away with ignoring the letters?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: CCJ/Debt Recovery Advice!

Originally posted by bepo2015 View Post
    Hi all,

To cut a long story short, I have a debt with Natwest (circa £24k), I have a CCJ against me for it and there is a charge on my home.

Initially I had letters from Shoosmiths and I sent one or two back stating I could pay £40 a month but it was never accepted; I now get letters from Dryden Fairfax stating similar things about reverting to client and taking further action etc.

I defaulted on the debt (a loan) in 2010 due to personal circumstances; The CCJ was 2012 I think.

How serious should I take this or can I get away with ignoring the letters?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, Welcome to LB.

You have a judgement against you and it would be foolish to say the least to ignore solicitors letters, there a number of actions the claimant can consider.
    1. Obtaining a distress warrant meaning that a bailiff from the court is instructed to take good to cover the debt by selling the at auction.
    2. Get a Warrant from the High Court given the value of the debt, the warrant will be handed to High Court Enforcement Officers who have vastly greater powers compared to a County Court Bailiff.
    3.An attachment of earnings order instructing your employer to stop payments from wages ( the employer cannot refuse to comply.
    4. Again given the amount owed, the claimant can seek an order for sale as there is a charging order in place on your property.

nem

Comment

Nem,

Have I got it wrong in thinking that balliffs have to make peaceful entry to take goods etc.

Can only force entry for fines, tax and for commercial debts?

Comment

Given the amount OS I would suspect this could easily go to the High Court HCEO's have considerably more power.
        nem

Comment

Are they allowed to force entry for this type of debt?

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
          Given the amount OS I would suspect this could easily go to the High Court HCEO's have considerably more power.
          nem

Comment

Thought when HCEOs are brought in its a debt regardless of what its for and the action they can take is different to EOs.

Comment

Have a look on the net the Rules have changed re HCEO's/ Formally Sheriffs / Certified Enforcement Officers.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X