• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beneficiary wants my non-probate stock put back in the estate

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beneficiary wants my non-probate stock put back in the estate

I am executor, beneficiary and non-probate beneficiary of a friend's estate. There are 4 beneficiaries, P who inherits 20% of residual and her 401K. M gets 20%, J gets 20% and an annuity and I inherit 40% and her company stock. M and J are mother and daughter who retained an attorney as soon as they discovered that their 20% share was not based on the entire value of the estate, but only the residual cash. their attorney wants the stock (which is TOD) to be returned to the estate since the transfer was completed in Sept 2011 but the will was signed in June 2010. TheIr claim is that she did not realize the tax consequences of the TOD. The estate attorney wants to settle and offer them up to one third of the stock, however he also indicated that there was no undue influence and they would have no standing in probate court. They are still demanding the entire bloc of stock. I'm confused as to how someone can change a will just because a beneficiary is unhappy. J,M and myself are not relatives of the decedent. P is a great niece and is not part of this issue. Is this worth taking to court? The stock value DOD was $335,000.
    Tags: None

Re: Beneficiary wants my non-probate stock put back in the estate

Hi and Welcome
    Sorry to hear of your problems, but unfortunately there's nothing like a death & will to cause family problems.

Before responding to your query, can you confirm your location.
    Some of your terminology suggests you are in USA, whereas this forum is UK based.

We would not want to confuse matters even more for you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X