• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Final solicitors bill...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final solicitors bill...

Hello Folks, I have just found this website and wonder if anyone can give me some info and or advise. I have just been through a long drawn out set of legal proceedings where I have been defending my ex husbands application to downward vary a joint life spousal maintenance order. The final hearing was last Nov and It delivered a very unfavourable and unexpectedly dissapointing result on my behalf, my solicitor admited himself it was unforeseen etc and there was a string of erros made in the finalising of the court order etc..the barrister instructed by my solicitor failed to provide any notes to ,explain the judges descision/ reasoning. There is so much background here and would take me ages to write it all but to cut to my question
    Why hasnt the solicitor sent me a final bill? I had paid as we went along so imagine the final amount owing is around 2k.. but suspect he never got councels notes and was unable to debreif me adequately etc.. how long is reasonable/acceptable to be expecting a bill? Its 5 months now, could he have decided to waive the final bill on account that it all went pear shaped? Obviously Im not going to chase the bill as I really cant afford to pay it...but its a worry

Dollymix
    Tags: None

Re: Final solicitors bill...

Hi Dollymix,
    I'm afraid the only person who can answer the question on the bill is your solicitor.
    Was there any order for costs made by the court.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by dollymix View Post
      Hello Folks, I have just found this website and wonder if anyone can give me some info and or advise. I have just been through a long drawn out set of legal proceedings where I have been defending my ex husbands application to downward vary a joint life spousal maintenance order. The final hearing was last Nov and It delivered a very unfavourable and unexpectedly dissapointing result on my behalf, my solicitor admited himself it was unforeseen etc and there was a string of erros made in the finalising of the court order etc..the barrister instructed by my solicitor failed to provide any notes to ,explain the judges descision/ reasoning. There is so much background here and would take me ages to write it all but to cut to my question
      Why hasnt the solicitor sent me a final bill? I had paid as we went along so imagine the final amount owing is around 2k.. but suspect he never got councels notes and was unable to debreif me adequately etc.. how long is reasonable/acceptable to be expecting a bill? Its 5 months now, could he have decided to waive the final bill on account that it all went pear shaped? Obviously Im not going to chase the bill as I really cant afford to pay it...but its a worry

Dollymix
      I think that Nem is right, the only one who can givey ou the answers is the lawyer. It would be best to ask your solicitor to provide you with details that you are seeking.
      I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
        I think that Nem is right, the only one who can givey ou the answers is the lawyer. It would be best to ask your solicitor to provide you with details that you are seeking.
        Not keen to go there as he may say oh yes here it is.. I was always billed in good time in the past there must be some reason it hasnt been issued...No order for costs and I have made an official complaint through the firms proceedure as I feel poor advise was given and I should have been advised against going to final hearing. I have had a final response to my complaint more or less saying that nothing was done wrong but strangely I never did recieve a final bill. Still considering going to the legal ombudsman. Much appreciate your replies, Dollymix :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Originally posted by dollymix View Post
          Not keen to go there as he may say oh yes here it is.. I was always billed in good time in the past there must be some reason it hasnt been issued...No order for costs and I have made an official complaint through the firms proceedure as I feel poor advise was given and I should have been advised against going to final hearing. I have had a final response to my complaint more or less saying that nothing was done wrong but strangely I never did recieve a final bill. Still considering going to the legal ombudsman. Much appreciate your replies, Dollymix :tinysmile_grin_t:
          Im not sure the Legal ombudsman is the right place to deal with "poor advice" the reason i say this is, the LEO deals with Poor service complaints, but advice is a matter of opinion, opinions differ, i have taken on files which other lawyers have said are no hopers, and i have also had cases i have rejected taken on by other firms.

I think when its our own cases its difficult to be fully objective, however i do think you need to get this sorted out sooner rather than later
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X