• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Changes to T&Cs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to T&Cs

Hi,

I was hoping someone can help. Out of the blue all employees that work at my company were sent a letter telling them that T&Cs are changing. Just before we recieved the letter a 150 people were told that they were at risk of redundancy thankfully i am not affacted by this but am affacted by the T&Cs changes.

Please note this primarily affacts about 400 out of the 2000 workforce as we merged with another company in 2013 and they were on different T&Cs and new people are already on these T&Cs.

Holidays will go down from 30 days to 28 days.
    Pension contribution will go down from 10% from employer to 3%.
    flexi time will no longer be available.

I am still trying to understand the other changes as the letter isnt fully clear but the above has been made clear. If we agree we sign and return a form if not then we will have a one to one with HR.

I have worked at the company for 6 years. Also as one person in my team who is leaving already will not be replaced and i have been asked to pick up their workload.

They have told us that anybody that doesnt agree to the changes will be at risk of contract ending and not entitled to redundancy pay.

All the changes are negative to the employee. Do i have to accept the terms?

thanks for the help in advance.

Nats
    Tags: None

Re: Changes to T&Cs

Hello and welcome.
    Like all contracts, your terms and conditions are a done deal. The new letter is ASKING you to accept the changes. Nothing more.
    The veiled threats that you have detailed are just that.
    It may well be that you could be selected for redundancy but I certainly wouldn't want to accept being blackmailed into accepting adverse terms, under threat.
    I suggest that you consider refusing to sign and meet the HR people to see what else is on offer.
    The company cannot just change the contract without your agreement.

Comment

thank you for the response. I havent had my one to one session as yet but they have said that if people do not agree one option is to terminate the existing contract. Can they do this?

Nats

Comment

Yes.
        If either party decides to end a contract of employment, it is certainly possible as long as that complies with the law.
        For example. you may choose to go and work somewhere else.
        They have to terminate your employment subject to all the current rules. No discrimination. No unfair dismissal and suchlike.
        It's your choice to decide whether you want to work there, under the new terms or accept redundancy money and work elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
          Yes.
          If either party decides to end a contract of employment, it is certainly possible as long as that complies with the law.
          For example. you may choose to go and work somewhere else.
          They have to terminate your employment subject to all the current rules. No discrimination. No unfair dismissal and suchlike.
          It's your choice to decide whether you want to work there, under the new terms or accept redundancy money and work elsewhere.

Ok i am not at risk of redundancy but will be affacted by the T&C changes. What value do our contracts have if the employer can change them at will and terminate contract if i do not agree to the changes? I render myself unemployed.

Thanks

Nats

Comment

You ARE at risk of redundancy.
            I'm trying to explain to you that, if your current contract is terminated, that job is then redundant.
            Your new job may well be identical but there are new terms and conditions attached to that new job, different from what you had before. Therefore your old job is redundant.
            Your current contract cannot be changed at will. You have to agree any significant changes.
            If you gave notice to leave your current employer, the employer would have to comply with your wishes. This is exactly what applies to you now.
            They want to finish your current contract.
            They want to get you to agree to a new one.
            If you don't agree, your options include redundancy or asking them what alternatives they propose.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
              You ARE at risk of redundancy.
              I'm trying to explain to you that, if your current contract is terminated, that job is then redundant.
              Your new job may well be identical but there are new terms and conditions attached to that new job, different from what you had before. Therefore your old job is redundant.
              Your current contract cannot be changed at will. You have to agree any significant changes.
              If you gave notice to leave your current employer, the employer would have to comply with your wishes. This is exactly what applies to you now.
              They want to finish your current contract.
              They want to get you to agree to a new one.
              If you don't agree, your options include redundancy or asking them what alternatives they propose.
              ok thank you. the problem is they are not proposing any alternatives it is them saying this is it you agree or do not agree. It kind of feel it is constructive dismissal.

Comment

No. You haven't been given an ultimatum.
                If you think it through, what they are saying is that we WANT to change your T&Cs.
                We'd like you to agree.
                Your response should be "I don't".
                The ball is then in their court.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X