• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Distribution of funds to beneficiaries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distribution of funds to beneficiaries

Sorry if this is the wrong place but need a little bit of help.

My dads cousin passed away in December 14 and named my dad, aunt and uncle as beneficiaries. A solicitor is handling the estate. At the moment the DWP are checking to see if he owed any pension credit, which we think he might. We have heard that this could take a while.
    The estate totals around £140,000 (my parents used to help with the accounts of the cousin so we know the rough figure)
    My father who is 76 has a growth on his liver which could be cancerous. His health is a concern. He is hoping that due to his share he will be able to buy a new car (he has all his faculties and doesn't act like a 76 year old)
    The solicitor says she cannot release the funds until the DWP has been paid back, although we know that the amount will be less than £10,000. Is there any way my parents and the other 2 beneficiaries can get the funds released and sign a contract/indemnity agreement etc stating that they are taking over the estate and will be liable for all claims (if any) and the solicitor can be released as executor. It seems wrong that they cannot release the money when it is a fraction of the estate that will be owed and they are a close family and all agree to the proposal. My dads cousin would be upset to think that they were unable to enjoy the money that he wanted them to have and we would like my dad to get the car before his health stops him from driving.
    Tags: None

Re: Distribution of funds to beneficiaries

The answer is no Any solicitor who distributes the estate before the DWP have completed their checks AND if probate is being sorted that comes 1st. If the solicitor doesn't follow this criteria then he/she risks being liable for those monies. Thought have you considered the Motabilty Scheme, assuming he qualifies of course

Comment

He doesn't qualify for motability, they have some savings but this windfall would buy a new car without the need to touch the savings. The probate is through but DWP are just being so slow! My parents are quite willing to get a binding contract that releases the solicitor from any approaches from DWP, they have no problem paying the amount, if any that the DWP asks for as the estate is so large it just means that they have some capital to spend. We thought there might be some contract in law that the solicitor could draw up moving all the onuses onto the beneficiaries to make them liable for any debt.

Comment

There is no reason why the solicitor cannot make interim payments to beneficiaries, except they are scared of their own shadows.
        Presumably your father is not looking to buy a supercar, so with an estate of the size you suggest the solicitor is being super cautious and should be able to release a small amount to him without endangering his own purse.
        As executor it is the solicitors decision and you cannot appeal to higher authority.
        Go back and try again.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X