• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Court summons for business rates not received now have enforcement officer at my shop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Court summons for business rates not received now have enforcement officer at my shop

Hi

In December 2012 a valuation officer turned up out of the blue to re assess my business rates? In January 2013 my business rates were reassessed and shot up 300%. I have been appealing this since and have a company fighting this on my behalf. I have also suffered a 60% loss in footfall. I told my local council this but was told I still had to pay the business rates until the appeal is resolved. Impossible. Also unbeknown to be my business rates were infact in my personal name, not my companies name which is Ltd. I have just had a visit at my shop by an enforcement officer, claiming that a court order from June (which I knew nothing about) is now payable, if I dont pay this he can go to my home and remove belongs to the value. £20,000.00. What is the law on this.
    Tags: None

Re: Court summons for business rates not received now have enforcement officer at my

Hi Iking. I moved into a small unit back in Feb this year, within a couple of weeks I had received a rates bill for the first month then shortly after I received another for the next year. Fortunately for me while in a conversation with the previous tenant he informed me that through the ‘Small Business Rates Relief’ scheme he had not paid a penny in rates for the same unit. He then informed me that I needed to get in touch with the council and get an application form. Within 3 weeks of filling in a simple form my rates have been reduced to zero. Below is a link that I used to find more information.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-busines...ss-rate-relief
    If Knowledge is Power . . . . . . .Then I Could Easily Light an L.E.D

Comment

Re: Court summons for business rates not received now have enforcement officer at my

Unfortunately witholding payment pending an appeal outcome is no defence. You should however be making sure they are chasing the correct entity if you trade as Acme Dealers Ltd then this is a different company to Acme Dealers who could be just a simple Sole Trader & when you can be held liable. As for having a company doing an appeal for you, it is easy enough to do yourself and fear you will get stung with a large bill - possibly a lot more than any potential savings.

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that information. However my rates went up 300% to £37,000 in one hit. Thats why I am struggling with my business the rates and foot fall drop.

Comment

How were you reassessed - I can only assume you were trading from a larger area than previously declared. Most business rates were reassessed in 2010 when the figure per sq ft was increased.

Comment

Well, years before I took it on it was split in half for 6 months. (this has only just come to light) The landlord apparently told the council? when it was put back to a its normal size. However the shops either side of me were only slightly higher than mine, but now all 3 shops have gone through the roof with an increase. I think what the valuation office should have done, was just put my rates the same as the other shops either side of me. But how do I get them to see that..........

Comment

What you are being charged will depend on the area you have and whether it is "front" or "back" as these are charged at different rates. Have you compared yours with others both next door and nearby.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X