• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Data Protection during an accident / incident investigation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Protection during an accident / incident investigation

I work as a trainer / investigator for a company that assists other organisations with carrying out incident investigations, and provides training in same.

While teaching a course this week, we mentioned the importance of gathering information / documentation about employees who have been involved in incidents. A delegate said that if they ring their HR departments and ask for information about employees, the response they usually get is "no sorry, can't tell you anything about them, data protection".

I would deem information about any known physical limitations / previous involvement in incidents / employment history etc. to be potentially relevant to an investigation (depending on the seriousness of the incident).

Given that many investigations after safety incidents are a legal requirement under the Health and Safety at Work Act, am I correct in thinking that these fall under the exemption in the Data Protection Act, more specifically 'Disclosures required by law', or 'Regulatory activity'?

Re: Data Protection during an accident / incident investigation

I don't think you can apply such a broad brush exemption and it is wholly dependent on the nature of the incident which is being investigated.

I am a lawyer working in the NHS and frequently have to advise on the release of patient information to people investigating matters of one sort or another and no two answers are the same.

Comment

I appreciate the type of investigation will play a large part.

So if I were to use the example of an incident on a building site where a worker is badly injured by a moving digger. There is suspicion that the driver operating the digger had been involved in a similar incident on another site, to which there would be a report in their employee record held by HR.

As an investigator I would want to know about this, along with details of their training record and any disciplinary action taken after the last incident.

Would I be in a position to gain access to this information based on the serious injury and the chance of prosecution? The main issue I'm getting at as well is I think HR departments often refuse to provide information citing the good old excuse of 'sorry, data protection' when actually they don't really know what they are and aren't allowed to disclose.

Comment

Information relating to previous incidents, as you know, should be reported in an accident book or as many companies keep, a "near miss" log. The accident book should be on public display and accessible at all times.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X