• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Back on this roundabout again..........

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back on this roundabout again..........

Hello all, so I'm back on this roundabout again.......does it ever end?!

I have a couple of questions about the new rules that have come in if you'll bear with me.

Behind with CT and the account was referred to JBW for collection (LO issued), now having been through this and having popped in here and read about the changes, I immediately tried to contact JBW.

I received a letter 16/03/15 stating the debt etc and telling me to contact them by 18.00 17/03/15. I did this straight away, using their online system. I tried to use the system to set up a payment plan however the system told me that they could only accept twice what I can afford. From there I messaged them, explaining and attaching a copy of my financial status.

I then received an email telling me I'd failed to pay or contact to arrange to pay (they only got my email address because I'd registered it the day before - to contact them!) and they were in possession of an LO and would proceed to enforcement. I message on their system again, as well as replying to the email. Nothing back except the auto response email saying they'd received it and someone would contact within 10 days. I messaged and emailed again on 19th having heard nothing, with my payment offer again and my financial statement, again nothing.

Then I received another on 26th March letter stating that if I didn't pay or contact to make arrangement to pay then enforcement would start and I'd be charged £200 odd quid extra in charges. I again messaged and emailed, complaining that I had indeed tried to contact them and received no response and I believed they were ignoring me in able to charge extra fees, and that I would be contacting the council - nothing again but auto response.

I've today received final reminders before the account is passed to a bailiff for enforcement. I have now emailed the council and cc'd JBW into this explaining everything (this is the abridged version - it was much longer) and stating that I have tried to arrange payment, however cannot afford the amounts the system demanded but have tried to contact JBW on several occasions using 2 different methods and apart from letters and emails threatening further action, have had no response. I have requested the council deal with this and have said that I intend to pay £75 off the account directly to the council 1/4/15 and further payments of £50 on the 1st of each month, as this is causing me stress and anxiety. I've told them I am a single parent and have had previous mental health problems.

My questions are -

Can I still refuse to deal with the bailiffs and just pay the council still?

Can I demand that the enforcement fee (not the £75) be removed? As no doubt it'll be added, as I have attempted to contact them and arrange payment several times and I will make a payment to the council, tomorrow, as originally offered to JBW, and continue with the monthly payments to the council. I have screen shots and copies of the messages and emails sent/received and sent these to the council with the email to prove that I have tried to organise payment.

As no doubt Mr Bailiff shall knock at the door shortly, can I still refuse entry and ignore him and continue paying the council? (Having read some of the stickies I'm almost sure I can - but not totally) No one has been in the house and there is no vehicle (that I own anyway!) outside - I live on a residential terraced street - and opposite a chip shop, people park outside my house all the time. Have had doors and windows shut and locked.

It's quite obvious to me that they are dragging out replying (having not replied within their own time frame of 10 days) to add this £200 odd to my account - soon as that's added I'm betting I get a visit, letter and email acknowledging my emails and messages! I genuinely cannot afford the initial amount and monthly installments they are asking for via the automated system.

Many thanks for your time.
    Tags: None

Re: Back on this roundabout again..........

Hi Monzter
    ive had this kind of thing happen to me. i chose to pay the 'council' and ignored the bailiff. in my case the debt collection for the CT is in house - one of those dodgy situations where the bailiff try to use a different name to that of the council to try to fool you into thinking they are completely independent of each other- yeah right!

i also complained to my local councillor - it worked a treat - CT department backed off:-)

try emailing your local councillor, its the quickest way and you have a paper trail.

I'm sure other forum members will be along soon with more suggestions:-)

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X