• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice on out of the blue council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on out of the blue council tax

I thought it would help to get additional perspectives.
    Some history; I lived in a property until May 2014 with a partner who was a student, we broke up and I moved out, as did she. In the time at the property we shared council tax payments and she was the payee. I moved out and I was paying new council tax payments from 1st June and have the tenancy agreement to verify this.
    A week ago I recieved a letter in my new property saying I owed £221 unpaid council tax and £350 in enforcement costs; there was also the threat that this debt had been passed on to a private bailiff who were now threatening to come round and remove my property to pay this bill. I contacted the council and they said they could change the unpaid council tax to when I moved out, this was later amended to be -£60, however when I sent them the new tenancy letter I recieved this email.

Dear

Thank you for your emails.

As a full time student Miss was not liable for council tax at (Address), you were solely liable therefore responsible for paying the council tax.

Residing elsewhere in the city does not end your council tax liability at your previous address and you remain liable for council tax at your previous address until the end of your tenancy. You did not receive correspondence from the council tax department or Rossendales as you did not contact us to advise us that you were moving out, close your account and provide your forwarding address therefore all correspondence was sent to your last known address, 41 Mundella Terrace.

Based on the above your account will remain with Rossendales. Please contact them directly to arrange repayment.

Kind regards,

Council Tax Phone: 0191 278 7878
    Revenues and Benefits Fax: 0191 277 7600
    Resources Directorate Textphone: 0191 211 5449
    Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre Email: council.tax@newcastle.gov.uk
    Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8QH Web address: www.newcastle.gov.uk

Please remember that you must tell the Council of all changes in circumstances that affect the amount of council tax you pay within 21 days of the change, whether this means that you pay more or less. If you fail to do this the Council will impose a penalty of £70.00. If you fail to tell us on more than one occasion the penalty may be increased to £280.00.

Additionally I have not had any of the enforcement costs reduced, their argument is that because I never gave change of address I am automatically liable. This was my ex so I mentioned I had moved out. I was obviously never notified of this having already left the property. This is a bit of a catch 22 situation as I am now responsible for these fees without ever actually being involved in the process.
    I am wondering if there is any way to dispute the enforcement fees in some way or whether I have to accept a £350 fee (Which I cannot really pay, being a full time fees paying MSc student as of 3 months ago) and take it as just another kick in the teeth from a failed relationship.
    Attached Files
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X