• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord putting meter cost up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord putting meter cost up

My son lives in a bedsit, and pays £400 a month, the room is very small, and cramped, it has patio doors leading onto half of an outhouse, ,at least one door does, the other leads to nothing, a drop of about 20 feet at a guess,hes on the second floor
    My son works so is only at home for part of a day as most are, but the landlord has now put the electricity prepaqyment meter up to 40 pence a KW, so the cost has gone up from around £10-15 a week to about 35, which is ridiculous
    I dont trust this landlord, he takes ages to gert round tpo any repairs, a shower pipe was leaking to the outside of the building, a neighbour complained to my son, landlord said he would sort it, in the end my son gt a friend to seal it
    The house is divided ito several bedsits, and i think comes under HMO, the landlord said it had been passed by a council inspector, but i just cant see this room with adoors that lead to nowhere except an accident would be passed as fit to live in, there is about 2 feet from the bed to the doors, i cringe just thinking about it, if someone leaned or fell against an open door it could be fatal,
    The 2 rooms on the top floor dont have any heating except fan heaters
    Any advice please, welcome, re, meters and suitability of living accomodation
    Tags: None

Re: Landlord putting meter cost up

There are rules on the reselling of electricity by landlords

Comment

I would just look somewhere else to live. It may be difficult to believe but there are some decent landlords out there!

Comment

I would lso call housing at the council. That drop sounds like a class 1 hazard . move first.

Comment

The landlord can only resell at the same rate that it was bought.
          Sear h for " Maximum resale electricity ". (Copy and paste isn't working on my tablet!

Comment

I have looked at that site,thank you ,in other words the landlord cant charge more than he pays for it,, but i think my son is going tolook for something else , there are some good landlords i know, but this landlord apparently has a main meter and has installed his own meters for the bedsits and got them hidden behind something in a cupbocard so obviously not letting the energy company know, and charging tenants extra,told my son now so he will have out with the landlord now,thanks again

Comment

Just a my 2 cents

It used to be ( as a landlord ) , that you could not make a proffit, but you could charge the individual rooms more, on there meters, to cover the costs of electric used in other, communal parts of the property, this was the case in traditional victorian bedsits, were lighting and fire control was required in the shared areas, sometime this also includes kitchen utilities and heating. I think you can also include the service costs of the equipment as well
              crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

The site I found was this one. (I'm back on the desktop). The reseller cannot add on to price in any way. It is, of course permitted to have private meters in the building and the energy company does not have to know about them.

I would get on to the council to see if it has indeed been registered as a HMO and been inspected. When your son finds another place of accommodation, which I hope he does, then he should apply to the landlord for reimbursement of the extra cost of the electricity. In addition report to the supplier and get them to institute criminal proceedings.

Comment

Thanks for this, i will show my son this too,also the tenancy is on a rolling contrct meanng it goes in fortnightly stages, the landlord can evict someone agter 2 weeks if they miss a weeks rent for instance, and the tenant can give 2 weeks notice, never heard of this,migt be another thing he has made up,regarding the drop from the patio doors, i am gong to find out tomorrow if this is legal or not, there are no railings even around the flat roof,

Comment

That patio door thing is serious and dangerious. deffinatly inform the council. The rest what u say. Show hes an unscrupulas lanlord. But probebly not breaking the law. He is with that patio door though
                    crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

I have been making enquiries about what is allowed and what is not, i rang Shelter and apparently thee inspectors dont a ways check every room, as far as the Electricty is concerned the standard tariff price per kw with their supplier is 16.85 +11.5 perday, that is for a domestic tarrif,maybe a business one is more, ,but charging people tenants 40p per unit is going to rake him in thousands from 6 tenants per month@140 each ,+£100 for their rooms,paying their own TV licence, the only thing in with the rent is the water,--up to now
                      Shelter suggested he asks to see the inspection report, if there is one,,also he cannot evict opeople after 2 weeks of no rent or for any reason, has to be at lesst 2 months under section 21
                      Last edited by valeriej43; 30th March 2015, 12:12:PM. Reason: to add

Comment

UPDATE; My son is looking for somewhere else to live now and has reported the landlord to the council, he just couldnt afford to live there any longer, for £100 a week, having to pay for TV licence and extortionate meter payments for Electricity, plus his food and internet ,and as it turns out the premises were not inspected, as i kept telling my son, no way would a council pass that room with a patio door and nothing underneath only a 20ft drop onto concrete , repairs being left not done
                        Apparently the landlord has to go on a landlord s course,whatever bthat is, and the council are sending an inspector when my son moves,in fact ALL his tenants are moving out, so he will have no income from around £2000 a month,

Comment

I hope he finds somewhere soon, sound like hes been messed about a lot on this.

The LLs course, might meen the council require him to register, just make sure, to cover your son, you take plenty of pictures before you go, showing all the problems

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X