• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Vodafone Early Upgrade - Operator Ping Pong and Lies Damn Lies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vodafone Early Upgrade - Operator Ping Pong and Lies Damn Lies

Hi There,

This is my first posting on here so i will thank you in advance for any responses.

The Situation:

My partner and I are both Vodafone Customers with more than 10 years loyalty thus far. Vodafone have been attempting to contact my Partner for several weeks, and yesterday managed to track her down by contacting her via my number (two phones on one account). They were calling to discuss the other phone on the account (hers) in respect of the fact that they wished to offer her an early upgrade. Her contract expires in August, with an actual upgrade date of June.

Discussions were undertaken, on my phone, with the operator in question and a deal was struck on a new 16gb iphone 6 plus, the deal being 24 Months £43 a month with £99 upfront charge for phone with Unlimited Minutes and Texts plus 1Gig data on a 3G Contract.

Bearing in mind this was a cold call, with no expectations or prior knowledge on behalf of my partner, she undertook some research and found that this was in fact a pretty awful deal, especially for a long term, loyal customer. We did in fact find that for the same monthly price she could have a 64gb Iphone 6 Plus, on 24 month 4G contract for no upfront charge, £20 cashback, and extra 3Gig data and all with the same provider.

As she had been advised during the call that she had a 14 day cool off period, she elected to cancel the upgrade immediately. As such, she called back, 10 mins after agreeing to accepth the offer of an early upgrade, and thats when the games began......

At 1925 yesterday evening (upgrade agreed at 1915), she contacted Vodafone, went all through the options and ended up with somene in upgrades. This operator informed her, having let her deliver the full transcript of the upgrade discussion, that she would need to deal with another dept (returns) but advised her that there was a long queue. She accepted this obstacle and waited in this queue for 8 mins before, again, delivering the whole tale to the (2nd) operator. This operator heard her out and advised that he could not assist in this matter and advised again that she needed to speak to another advisor. On requesting she be transferred, the operator told her that the dept was now closed for the evening and that she should call back in the morning. As it was not a standard time for a dept to be closed and in fact 15 min or so within the 2000 closing, she asked him if he was sure the dept was shut and asked for the opening hours. At the third time of asking the same question in a different way, the operator crumbled and confessed that they were still open and that he would transfer her.

So onto the next operator (3rd) and this one was as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard, merely returning her to the dept that she contacted first, upgrades. On re-gurgetating the, now finely polished, transcript, this operator (4th) notified my partner that he could do nothing for her and that she needed to speak to returns, who were now closed!!

Can you see the pattern here?

On calling back this morning, as advised, she has been told that she needs to wait for DPD to attempt to deliver the phone and that she should not accept it. Thereafter, the phone will be returned to the warehouse, where, after up to a week, the upgrades team may call to check that it has been returned. If they forget, or choose not to chase this information, and the return goes unnoticed during the 14 day cool off period, then the contract stands, regardless of any discussion you have had with Vodafone to the contrary.

She was further advised that, if she chooses to write to Vodafone to cancel the upgrade, the letter may be lost in post and the message goes unnoticed, resulting in?....you guessed it, upgrade stands contractually.

So to summarise:

1. Vodafone upgrades team makes its uber simple to upgrade on the phone.
    2. Vodafone make it impossible to cancel over the phone.
    3. Vodafone upgrades deals with selling upgrades and arranging delivery.
    4. Vodafone returns deals with (or doesnt) the cancelletion aspect of phones returned but does not deal with this aspect of phones that havent yet been sent.
    5. Vodafone are legally obliged to give 14 day cool off for contracts sold over the phone, but advise heavily that all measures to uptake this cool off are fraught with the dangers of not being able to comply. This is mostly due to their inability to ensure phones are tracked properly and that mail/emails are actioned in a timely manner.

So what do we do?...My partner agreed something that she changed her mind about with 13 days 23 hours and 50 mins of the 14 day cool off period remaining. She actioned this before Vodafone had taken any, physical, action to fulfil their contractual obligation to provide her with a new phone. Vodafone are extremely reluctant, or unable, to interrupt this seemingly unstoppable roller coaster of a process that will furnish her with a phone and/or contract that she does not want.

Vodafone operators are either trained exceptionally well at avoidance techniques or are unfit (through lack of training and/or common sense) to tie their own shoelaces never mind operate a mobile phone network. So you help me make up our minds, are they devious or just incredibly stupid, whilst you kindly advise any poetential way forward for our dilemMa.

Regards

Derek
    Tags: None

Re: Vodafone Early Upgrade - Operator Ping Pong and Lies Damn Lies

I am sure someone will be along to give you better legal advice, however my point of view would be to:

Ring Vodaphone and record conversation detailing that you wish to cancel this upgrade as per your rights in the 14 day cooling off period, with each department they transfer you to, ask for Managers if needs be.
    Email and send by post to the CEO and/or relevant department a letter explaining that you wish to cancel your early upgrade as per your rights in the 14 day cooling off period. Confirm in those letters that calls and or letters are recorded and copied, and if Vodaphone fail to uphold their obligation to cancel this upgrade during the cooling off period, you will be forced to take the matter further to the relevant Obudsman and/or Court and will be taking your business of 10 years with Vodaphone elsewhere once existing contracts come to an end.

Comment

Hi Shaggy and welcome to Legal Beagles.

It seems you are being given the run around here, you are correct that you have 14 day cooling off period.

I'm going to ask [MENTION=19723]Lee Vodafone Company Rep[/MENTION] to look into this for you, keep checking back for any posts on your thread and please keep us updated
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Many thanks for the advice, this is not the first run in ive had with Vodafone, but it might be the last

Comment

Hi Derek,

Thanks for making me aware of this.

If your partner still needs help with her account, ask her to email me with her details via the Contact us form here and quote the code WRT135 - FAO Lee in the subject line.

Once sent, you'll receive an automated reply with a reference number. Post back with this and I’ll check I've received it.

Kind regards,

Lee

Social Media Comms

Vodafone UK
          I am an official company representative of Vodafone UK.

LegalBeagles has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help resolve issues.

This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by LegalBEAGLES.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X