• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Newlyn Help Council Tax dated from 2010

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newlyn Help Council Tax dated from 2010

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of an advise

Just explaining my issue quickly, i was living in a property in east London back in 2010/2011 which i left in July 2011.

During most of that time I was a student but it is only 2 months before leaving the property that I realized that i could be exempt from paying the council charge.

When i left my flat I received a payment for the amount of the council tax that i shouldn't had paid, and asked via email (I still have all the conversation with the council ~ 10 emails exchanged) if i owe anything else. The response was negative.

A bit more than one month ago actually i received a letter from Newlyn apparently a well known and respected company ..... asking me to pay 225£ . After a bit of research (it tooks me 2 weeks I was quite busy with work etc...) I finally got to the bottom of it and understood that when i left my flat on the 15/07/2011 the council forgot to charge me for the pro rata (15 days) of the month for the council charge and that they have been trying to reach me but didn't have any forward address even if we exchange so many email back in 2011 ...

So after 4 year the charge was now 225£ for an original unpaid amount of 66£, I have been trying to contact the council many times but they kept saying that the charge is with the recovery agency and that there is nothing they can do and when I contacted Newlyn either they sorry to say that treat me like a piece of s**t or ask me to pay straight away.

I have been trying to reason with them and told them that i was willing to pay of course what i owe (the 66£) but that the 225 was ridiculous and so on and so on ...don't want to go into details but always ended up by hanging up the phone in frustration

Yesterday I have tried again and without any other success but suddenly my charge was not 225 but 447£ because apparently they sent someone trying to collect my good .... the guy must have hired a ferrari to come to pay me a visit I guess 220£ a visit com on .....

In the mean time everyday for the past month i was receiving call (3X/4X times a day) from them on my work and personal phone and annoying text message which stressed me to the point that I decided to pay today this 447£

I didn't have to time to fight this and was super busy with work and other personal issue and didn't want this bill to rise any further... Luckily I had the money to pay but this is revolting..

I know i shouldn't had pay but they were literally persecuting me on my work place ... and didn't want to suffer from this any further.

Is there any legal action that could be taken to sue this company or get part of my money back or is it just useless.

I have seen in different forum that the fees they have charged me 75+200 were apparently legal..

what are you view on my issue.

Again many thanks for those who took the time to read and apologies in advance for my poor english but I am actually not english. Just an honest person paying his tax ....

Thanks
    Antoine

Re: Newlyn Help Council Tax dated from 2010

Have you asked them for a proper breakdown of the fees they have charged you?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X