• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Equita piling on costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Equita piling on costs

Hi all
    I have a problem with Equita keep piling on Costs to a small debt which i originally owed to Birmingham City Council.
    It all started when i got behind on my council tax and was refered to equita
    I had aproximately £200 to pay off when i lost my job and had to move from my rented house to stay with a friend
    I notified equita that id lost my job and offered them £5 a week till i was on my feet and back in work
    They kept refusing the offer and kept adding charges
    They then sent a balif out to my friends house where i was staying i never saw the balif just found a letter which said id been charged more money and threatened to take property from the house which was scary and also embarrassing as its not even my house
    I read some where on the internet that i should just send the £5 a week regardless of them not accepting the offer as if it did come down to court i was doing my part
    So since december i have been sending in a token payment of £5 a week
    Ive still been receiving threatening letters but no more charges till today
    I heard my door bell ring when i looked out the window which was litterally seconds after the ring i just saw the tail end of a person getting into a car, i went to the door and found another balif letter from equita which Said theyve added a further £235 to my debt for the visit. Im running a total debt of £579.97 now and i cant see no end to this.
    Ive just typed in google Equita Copuncil Debt and this site has came up so im hoping somebody can give me some advice
    Tags: None

Re: Equita piling on costs

You need to ask the Council how may Liability Orders they have against you, how much each one is for, when they were obtained and when they were passed to Equita.

You then need to ask Equita to give you a list of the fees they have charged and when they were applied. If they are collecting for more than 1 Liability Order then you need this for each debt.

Comment

Meant to add you also need a list of dates from both of any payments made.

Comment

Thanks Ploddertom
        What happens when i get the info

Comment

Post it up and we'll try to sort fact from fiction.

Are you aware that Birmingham City Council has hived most of its office functions to a company called Capita? Are you aware the Capita own 2 Bailiff Co's one of which is called Equita?

Comment

I didnt know that no.
            Sounds Rather suspicious

Comment

Originally posted by melita View Post
              I didnt know that no.
              Sounds Rather suspicious
              What you have to remember is that when you ring the Council the chances are you speak to a member of a private company and in this case they can be very evasive. They have no interest in helping you and you would not be the first to be given misinformation that favours them passing duff info so you fall foul of their bailiffs. Just be wary.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X