• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Beneficiary in a will from Uncle who died 8 years ago, but no inheritance received

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beneficiary in a will from Uncle who died 8 years ago, but no inheritance received

Hi, I found out today that I was a beneficiary in my Uncles will of a large sum of money. I have never been contacted about this and he passed in 1997. I have seen a copy of the will and I contacted the solicitors mentioned on the document but they only keep files for 6 years. How can I go about getting what my Uncle wished for me to have? My cousin was the executor but we have not spoken for many years. Thank you for any help with this x
    Tags: None

Re: Beneficiary in a will from Uncle who died 8 years ago, but no inheritance receive

Hi and Welcome.
    IMO your first step is to write to the executor, who by the way has a lifelong liability for the settling of the estate, and ask, as a beneficiary, for the final accounting statement.
    Was the solicitor also named on the will as EXECUTOR. If so they need to keep records beyond 6 years.

It could be that if your bequest was to be paid from a residuary, the cash ran out paying costs, creditors and specific legacies and there was nothing left in the pot.
    However you should have been advised.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X