• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: council tax

Originally posted by trotters View Post
    good morning, i received a letter on Saturday from the Council saying they had received a liabilty order in April 2014 and this order was now with the Bailiffs, why have the Council waited until now to mention that they've had a liability order for nearly a year ? if the Bailiffs have a copy of this order then should i be entitled to a copy ?
    What the local authority will receive back from the court is a computer print out with a court stamp and signature confirming that the court have granted permission for the debt to be enforced using various different methods (attachment of earnings, attachment against benefits, bailiffs taking control of goods, charging order etc).

You need to ask the council for the exact amount of the Liability Order passed to bailiffs last year. This is important information so that you can establish whether the bailiffs fees being charged are correct.

You still need to find out from the council WHY a Liability Order was issued if your account was supposedly showing a nil balance.

Comment

can i request a copy of this liability order though ? would the Court have issued an order against me if i provided a Bill showing an outstanding balance of £0.00 ?

Comment

also if the Court issued a Liability order back in April 2014 why has in taken until now for the Council to inform me of this ?

Comment

can i request a copy of this liability order though ? would the Court have issued an order against me if i provided a Bill showing an outstanding balance of £0.00 ?
          You will not receive a copy of an actual Liability Order as these are no longer issued. Instead, the 'order' itself is recorded in the court records and copied to the local authority.

Comment

the Council have said though in their letter to me that a copy of the Liability order is now with the Bailiffs, does that make sense ?

can i contact the Courts to find out if a Liability order is registered against me ?

Comment

You need to ask the council for a copy of the summons and confirmation that the court granted an order. You need to ask for details of the amount .

Comment

at this stage is there anything i can do to prevent the Bailiffs knocking my door ?

Comment

at this stage is there anything i can do to prevent the Bailiffs knocking my door ?
                  Even if they do knock, you don't have to let them in. Anything of value outside (ie a car) is at risk if it's not exempt (ie on HP, blue badge).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X