• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Non Compete without Garden Leave or Payment in Lieu

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Compete without Garden Leave or Payment in Lieu

I recently resigned from my job, the company is not offering any garden leave or payment in lieu, but has made me to sign the termination agreement which has a clause which does not allow me to work in a competitive business for a restricted period of 6 months. The clause goes as follows:

XX. The employee shall not without prior written consent of the company during the restriction period be engaged with any business which is in competition with the company. The clause shall not restrain the employee from being engaged with any business so far the employee's work shall relate solely:
    XX.1 to those geographical areas (if any) where the business is not in competition with the company or
    XX.2 to activities of nature with which the employee was not with during the period of 24 months ending on the date of termination

What should I make out of this as this sounds very restrictive and leaves me un-employed for 6 months? Will this be applicable for the whole of UK (as no geographical area has been defined)? Does this apply outside UK i.e can I go work outside?
    Tags: None

Re: Non Compete without Garden Leave or Payment in Lieu

They're a load of rubbish. See http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...-work-covenant

Comment

Thanks Dan, does this mean that this is not enforceable with UK or elsewhere? Apologies for my lack of legal understanding...

Comment

The above clause was in the employment agreement, a part of the termination agreement states:
        Save that as referred to in clause XX, in the event the employee is seeking to commence work for a competitive business prior to 6 months, he may contact the company to request permission in writing, which permission may be given or withheld at the discretion of the company.

Very very confusing...

Comment

Originally posted by kryjas View Post
          Thanks Dan, does this mean that this is not enforceable with UK or elsewhere? Apologies for my lack of legal understanding...
          The clause is too wide and so would be hard to enforce through any formal avenues.

Comment

Also regarding the following statement in the termination agreement with respect to clause XX (as originally stated in the employment agreement).

"Save that as referred to in clause XX, in the event the employee is seeking to commence work for a competitive business prior to 6 months, he may contact the company to request permission in writing, which permission may be given or withheld at the discretion of the company."

The tone changes from "The employee shall not without prior written consent" to "The employee may contact for written consent". Which I guess is contradictory in itself.

Comment

Any other expert views on this? Or should I consider this non enforceable.

Comment

Not an expert view but the advice given by Dan_1207 is not saying it is not enforceable but rather that the likelihood is too hard to be successful.

The burden of proof rests with the ex-employer.

Only you know the financial strength and commitment of your ex to see such action to the end. The higher up the company, the "goodwill" you left on might impact on such commitment to restrict you.

Don't go actively targeting their client base and don't make a target of yourself such as boasting the business you've won on social media.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X