• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Maternity Rights

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maternity Rights

Hi, I hope that you can help. My wife recently returned to work from maternity and wanted to reduce her hours. She was told by her manager that the company policy was that if she wanted to return to work full time that was no problem, but if she wanted to reduce her hours she would need to resign from her post and return as a temporary member of staff. She has since done this as she was given no choice. Any rights she previously had such as annual leave and sick pay has also been taken away. She gets annual leave but is only paid is she has worked so many shifts before it.
    I'm sure this is illegal but any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Maternity Rights

On returning to work after maternity leave there is no automatic right to part time working, which I presume is what your wife is now doing.

If she is a temporary worker has she been given a fixed term?
    UK employment law makes no distinction between ‘permanent’ and ‘temporary’ employees. To qualify for various employment rights, however, employees must have served a minimum period of continuous employment with their employer. IMO it seems your wife has been continuously employed.

Temporary employees in general terms should not be treated less favourably than permanent employees. This means that employees will have broadly the same rights to statutory redundancy payments, written reasons for dismissal and the right not to be unfairly dismissed as permanent employees.

I'll leave it to others more versed in employment law to advise better.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X