• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Removing Bad Credit from Collections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Bad Credit from Collections

I am writing here as I would welcome some advice on how to get bad credit removed from my credit history. The issue started because my current account with Alliance and Leicester (now Santander) wasn’t closed correctly back in 2008:

On 15/03/2008, I went into the Loughborough Branch and asked the cashier to close my Alliance and Leicester current account. I paid the outstanding balance on the account, so the balance was zero. I believe the cashier failed to follow the correct closure procedure at this point. I cancelled all debits/credits and I destroyed the bank card as I believed the account had been closed.

From 11-04-2008 to 16/12/2010, the banks finance system continued to charge overdraft usage fees totalling £341.61.

They gave me no notice of any overdraft, default or growing negative balance.

12-09-2011, the account was passed to collections

Later in 2011, I had the first indication I had that the account was still active when the debt collection agency, that they had sold the debt to, pursued me. I sent them copies of my statements showing the balance of zero in march 2008 and the reoccurring charges. They informed me that they were no longer pursuing the debt.

2/01/2014 I received another letter from Robinson Way collections, dated 25/12/14, again requesting repayment the debt. Clearly, Santander kept the account open and resold it to another collections agency.

2/01/2014 I went into the Santander branch in Loughborough and spoke to a cashier. He printed off the statements. He apologised, as he suspected the account hadn’t been closed correctly, but said it was now being handled by their collections team

I spoke to Santander collections and explained the situation, but they said I was responsible for the debt. It had been passed to a 3rd party and they intended to pursue me

I totally disagree with the charges that were applied to my account after the 15/03/2008. The account should have been closed as I requested.

27/01/2014 I went back into the Loughborough branch of Santander, and spoke to ANITA XXXX . She has confirmed that she believes the correct closure procedure was not followed. She confirmed that I had paid off the balance on the account and that the only reason for the negative balance is because the systems levied charges to the account. She said that their collections team were being difficult and raised a request to get the account closed. She said I would be contacted once this had happened.

12/02/2004 I went into the branch as I didn’t receive and correspondence from the bank. I was told to contact collections again, who bluntly informed me that they have sold the debt and there’s nothing they can do.

I am not concerned about paying the debt. A&L/Santander will have already written it off in the accounts and the collections team stopped pursuing me as soon as they saw the statement – its clearly a screw up. I believe the charges are unjust and unlawful, and I would be happy to defend my position in court. The problem is, I want to move house this year and I would like to get the credit history removed. Can anyone advise my accurately on how this can be achieved. Without going down the legal route?

As this debt is a result of Alliance and Leicester’s error, logically, they would remove it as a gesture of goodwill. However, I get very little feeling of “goodwill” from this bank.

Any help appreciated.

Will

Re: Removing Bad Credit from Collections

You can apply to have a notice of correction or removal of the information from your credit file.

I have tagged [MENTION=52111]James Jones Experian[/MENTION] and [MENTION=62389]ExperianExperts[/MENTION] who may be able to advise you further on how to go about this
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X