• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marston High Court Enforcement Officer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marston High Court Enforcement Officer

Hi there,

I live in a shared house and an enforcement officer attended my property about 6 weeks ago in reference to a debt owed to magistrates court for fines due to breach of a community order for assault. She said she gave someone in the house a letter stating I had a debt to pay, but I never got it. She posted a final notice last week, so I called her to explain that I hadn't received any notice of her attending before and could I arrange a payment plan with her as I was a single parent on benefits and £380 was not something I could conjure up in a week. She said it had gone on long enough and that I had until Friday 13th to pay the full amount. She text me today, reminding me I have until 4pm tomorrow to get the money together, and when I asked her what the next steps would be if I could not afford it, she said she would attend and if I didn't let her in, she would re attend with the police to take my possessions. I explained I had no possessions as I live in one room, with just a bed and a wardrobe. She said if the warrant could not be cleared by possessions then she said the next stage is an arrest warrant! I am at my wits end, can they just arrest me like that and leave the kids aged 11 and 14 here? Will I go to prison for this? Like I said, I had offered to pay in instalments, its not like I just said i'm not paying. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Marston High Court Enforcement Officer

You have not said anything about the events leading to bailiff enforcement (such as the Further Steps Notice) etc.

Could you also clarify your personal circumstances as on the one hand you say that you are a single parent with two children aged 11 and 14 and yet, on the other hand you state that you live in one room that contains just a bed and a wardrobe???
    Last edited by Milo; 12th March 2015, 14:53:PM.

Comment

The bailiff shouldn't be passing a letter to 'someone else'. Data Protection Act breach anyone?

Comment

I have only lived at the property for about 8 months, as far as I am aware I haven't received any further steps letters, its been a tumultuous year after losing my mother, my job and my partner and am now in the process of being evicted. Everything has just got on top of me. Yes I am in only one room and my children have another room, but I didn't think they could take any of the children's things, all they have is beds in theirs, we certainly aren't living the life of luxury!

Comment

Write to the Enforcement Officer's company asking to arrange to pay by installments. This is to show that you are not refusing to pay, you willthen have a paper trail. Get free proof of posting at a Post Office.

it sounds like you are in temporary accomodation and the furniture is the landlords and therefore nothing can be taken.

Others will comment further

Comment

It was only temporary accommodation.... I have text messages to the officer saying that I would pay off in instalments and she said it had gone too far as she first attended in January.. had I known in January, then I could have sorted it, but she will not accept the fact that the person in the shared house she gave the notice to, has not passed the notice on to me! I'm just really worried that i'll be sent to prison for this and what will happen to my kids?

Comment

This Bailif will NOT be sending you to Prison only a Magistrate or judge can do that all the Bully can do is threaten you have made an offer to pay what you can afford that's all you need to do.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X