• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

DVLA Requisition for Court Case for Untaxed Vehicle HELP!?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVLA Requisition for Court Case for Untaxed Vehicle HELP!?

Hey all,

We've had a court summons for DVLA for an untaxed vehicle with no information of how to contact them to ask questions or change the date (as we can't make the date on the letter) but mainly, we're confused as to why it's gone this far.

We bought a car in November 2014 (first time buying in about 6 years) when we bought it it was taxed up until June 2015, so we didn't worry about it. We got all the documents in our name and insurance sorted within a few days.

On 2nd January 2015, the car got clamped (Happy New Year from DVLA!) and we had to pay a fee to release it and a another fee as a penalty as well as taxing the car going forward. The problem was that we weren't aware that the Tax Disk had been discontinued and that tax was actually no longer transferable, so it wasn't an intentional tax evasion at all.

If they had simply alerted us to the changes when we had registered the car we would have updated the tax immediately. When we spoke to the pound they let us know to expect a bill for the back dated tax too, which would have been fine as it was for only about £40, which we could have paid no problem.

We never received the bill or any further communication on the matter until now when we've had this court summons saying we hadn't responded to the letter they sent in Jan (which we never received)

We don't want to plead guilty as this will cost us nearly £1000 which we can't afford and feel is unfair as we've done all we can to be inline with the law and feel it's their error for not sending the communication/chasing us up in an appropriate way. We also can't attend the court date as we're working at the other side of the country at that time, so if we do have to go we need to change the date, yet there's no info on how to do this or how/who to contact.

Can anyone offer any advise on the best plan of action?

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: DVLA Requisition for Court Case for Untaxed Vehicle HELP!?

Call the DVLA

Telephone: 0300 790 6802
    Monday to Friday, 8am to 7pm
    Saturday, 8am to 2pm

Explain to them exactly what has happened, these letters are sent out automatically, get through to a human and they should be able to give you more details where you will then be able to plead your case.

Get them to confirm everything they say to you in writing and if possible record the time/date and contents of the call, either digitally or by jotting down the details of what was discussed.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Thank you, I think that's what we'll do to start with. Just think it's irritating that they don't include any information of who to contact on the letter.

Comment

Are you sure the letter is from the DVLA and not from the Courts?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

A few things to mention here:
          1. The road tax rules changed on 1 October 2014. No need to display a paper disc and the tax doesn't transfer to the new owner. The reason for that was to stop someone buying a taxed vehicle but not registering the change of keeper. They could then commit offences and the penalties would go to the previous owner. Plod couldn't see problems at the roadside, as the vehicle showed up as taxed.
          2. Using an untaxed vehicle on a public road is called "an absolute offence". You either have tax or you don't.
          3. The penalty for using or keeping an untaxed vehicle on a public road is "up to £1000" but never costs that. The likely fine is £50 plus £25 victim support fee.
          4. As Tools says, contact the DVLA. If you're lucky you may get someone with a brain.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
            A few things to mention here:
            1. The road tax rules changed on 1 October 2014. No need to display a paper disc and the tax doesn't transfer to the new owner. The reason for that was to stop someone buying a taxed vehicle but not registering the change of keeper. They could then commit offences and the penalties would go to the previous owner. Plod couldn't see problems at the roadside, as the vehicle showed up as taxed.
            2. Using an untaxed vehicle on a public road is called "an absolute offence". You either have tax or you don't.
            3. The penalty for using or keeping an untaxed vehicle on a public road is "up to £1000" but never costs that. The likely fine is £50 plus £25 victim support fee.
            4. As Tools says, contact the DVLA. If you're lucky you may get someone with a brain.

Thanks for your clarification Sean, completely understand the reason behind the change, just a shame that we didn't know about it until it was too late. No formal notification of it when we registered the vehicle, which I would have thought would have been standard in a cross over period.

Will speak to the DVLA on Monday and see what they can do to help.

Comment

Sorry to say Didn't know is not a Defence

Comment

I can see a lot of people who may be in the same position.
                In the past we had a disc on the windscreen to remind us when the tax needed renewing.
                Since last October we'll now have to rely on a postal reminder. Given that Royal Mail admit to losing 30 million items of mail each year, how is one expected to remember, especially in a household with several vehicles.
                I feel for you.
                I don't think the new system has been well thought through.

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
                  I can see a lot of people who may be in the same position.
                  In the past we had a disc on the windscreen to remind us when the tax needed renewing.
                  Since last October we'll now have to rely on a postal reminder. Given that Royal Mail admit to losing 30 million items of mail each year, how is one expected to remember, especially in a household with several vehicles.
                  I feel for you.
                  I don't think the new system has been well thought through.
                  I know right? I think that is what's happened in this situation too, as they should have sent us a letter after being clamped for us to pay the backdated tax but we never received that. We live in an area that is notoriously bad at loosing post too, which is extremely frustrating.

We're trying to call them now. Wish us luck!

Comment

UPDATE: We spoke to DVLA today on the number above. We were polite and explained the details and they were happy to take the backdated payment and an admin fee to clear the problem. Just waiting for a letter to confirm that the court case is cancelled and we're in the clear.

Thanks to everyone who lended some advise.

Comment

You're very welcome.
                      We like helping people here and it's always nice when someone comes back to tell us their results.
                      I'm sure we're all very pleased for you. Well done.

Comment

Excellent news well done. Always good to speak directly to a human, make sure you get everything confirmed in writing from them as these things have a tendency to come back and bite you on the ass when you least expect it.

Glad we could all help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X