• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

buchanan clark and wells and utility bills

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buchanan clark and wells and utility bills

Hi,

First post. My son shared a house as a student, I was guarantor (never again) in a joint and several agreement. The other two parties left without paying the rent and I copped for it, not good.

The agreement was he had the small room and wasn't on the utility bills, just the phone and BB, which he paid.

Now buchanan clark and wells have said they are sending a Doorstep Agent round and have addressed to letter to my son and the other two parties at my house.

They say he has to pay up as utility bills are "implied" and therefore he's liable ?

His name wasn't on the bill, but they said the other parties can add it ?

Where do I stand ?

I asked them to send the bills through to see what's what.

Help ...
    Tags: None

Re: buchanan clark and wells and utility bills

Getting confused

Comment

Ideally, we need to see the agreement that your son has. In the event that each student is held jointly and severally liable, he may well face a bill for the full sum.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo68 View Post
        Hi,

First post. My son shared a house as a student, I was guarantor (never again) in a joint and several agreement. The other two parties left without paying the rent and I copped for it, not good.

The agreement was he had the small room and wasn't on the utility bills, just the phone and BB, which he paid.

Now buchanan clark and wells have said they are sending a Doorstep Agent round and have addressed to letter to my son and the other two parties at my house.
        First of all, let me put your mind at ease. Doorstep agents are nothing to worry about, they are NOT bailiffs and haven't got any rights. There's no obligation to open the door to them, let them in or talk to them. Also debt collectors often threaten to send doorstep agents round but most of the time they are just threats, it's a lot cheaper sending a letter than sending an actual collector.

You say your son wasn't on the utility bills, it sounds like they've just got hold of all the names and are going round them all to see who bites and pays up.

Do we know which company is BCW collecting on behalf of?

Comment

Thanks all,

Southern Electric

The Tenancy was Joint & Several, but stated that all bills were NOT part of that agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo68 View Post
            Thanks all,

Southern Electric

The Tenancy was Joint & Several, but stated that all bills were NOT part of that agreement.
            Then I can't see how your son is liable?

Comment

BCW say because he was there it's "Implied". They said no one "signs up" to a utility bill ?

They aren't overly nice people by the sounds of things.

Surely one has to agree to be in a contract ?

Comment

Looks like someone just added his name to the bill after he'd left,

Need to understand if this "Implied contract" holds any water. Will call the utility company and ask how they think it's ok to add a name and refer to a DCA ...

thanks for help so far.

Comment

No BCW are total a* holes! theyv`e been after me for months about a bill that I can`t possibly owe, despite several emails to them & the company they represent.

Comment

Tell them to either go get a court claim going in which case you will defend or to shift their hook off your doorstep
                    They can't imply anything, please scan the agreement and load it up blank out any personal info though
                    Need to see this

Comment

With BCW I find that if one makes a formal complaint, they often just don't reply and are never heard of again.

nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X