• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

competiton fee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• competiton fee

just seen an advert for an online competition run by a UK based magazine, with the prize being a weekend at a minor music festival on a holiday camp for 5 persons,

However in the T&Cs it says prize has to be claimed online, and the winner will have to pay a £10 per person online booking fee,

Is this legal?

if not which law does it come under please

Thanks

Leigh
    Tags: None

Re: competiton fee

The ASA will look at competitions http://asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx but it might actually be worth you posting over on MSE in the Comper's forum about the competition and the prize - they will know all the rules - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...play.php?f=215

but for now it would possibly come under...

31. Creating the false impression that the consumer has already won, will win, or will on doing a particular act win, a prize or other equivalent benefit, when in fact either—

(a)there is no prize or other equivalent benefit, or

(b)taking any action in relation to claiming the prize or other equivalent benefit is subject to the consumer paying money or incurring a cost.

under http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukdsi/...574/schedule/1

... although that seems to reply on intimation you will win...

Yes compers forum on MSe is full of experts in this kind of issue so have an ask over there.
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

thanks will do

Comment

Do you have the website?
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

http://team-rock.msgfocus.com/k/Team..._9_competition

Comment

Definitely a scam or in the very least misleading

Terms and conditions:

- Competition closes 11th March 2015.
            - Prizes are claimed online.
            - Entrants must be 18 or older on the date of entry to win tickets.
            - A winner will be chosen at random and contacted by phone or email.
            - Prizes are claimed online (there is an online booking fee of £10 per ticket to claim prizes)
            - Prize does not include transportation.
            - Tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable.
            - Chic Festivals SL reserves the right to withdraw this offer at any time.
            - On claiming the prize you agree to HRH terms and conditions at www.hardrockhell.com/tickets/terms.php
            - Full event info can be found at www.hardrockhell.com
            Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

Comment

^Thamks I thought so,

something along the lines of its not a true prize if you have to pay anything to receive it

Comment

If in doubt Walk Away Best Advice I ever Got

Comment

I've been informed by my good lady [MENTION=6]Amethyst[/MENTION] that I may have been a little harsh by calling it a scam.

My opinion is that the actual competition itself is indeed genuine, however, as a "Prize" you should not incur any costs. Yes £10/ticket is a bargain compared to the face value, but a win IMO should be cost free.

Apologies if I misled anyone into believing it was outright fraudulent in any way.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X