• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

They sold my car without my knowledge

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They sold my car without my knowledge

I try to keep it simple. I had non-fault accident in December14.
    called accident management company.
    they arranged recovery of vehicle to their storage
    they arranged hire car, solicitor for personal inj, engineer report,
    they asked me for certificate of insurance and V5 (i naively given them)
    Engineer report says TOTAL LOSS. report forwarded to third party insurance they think it is repairable.
    in mean time I received letter from DVLA saying we are no longer registered keeper.
    so they claim management company sold the car before waiting for me to get paid.
    I called police, they went to that company and informed me this is a civil matter not car theft because in one of the papers I signed it says:
    I Mr .... confirm I have read the engineer report relating to this accident and I am happy with its content and I undrestand that I will not retain the salvage.
    Police thinks this is enough for them to sell the salvage.

1- car is salvage when third party insurance agree and pay for that
    2- before that, it should be kept in storage and treated as repairable car
    3- car was in my wife's name ,they knew that (in V5) I can not give them authority to sell it
    4- car has 40K outstanding finance, they were aware of this, but still sold that
    5- Although I signed the paper, it was different from what he explained to me, I have the telephone conversation recorded and they confirmed we agreed that we can keep the salvage (after I signed the papers )

I informed finance company, and they want me to pay the settlement figure (not very helpful) they are not willing to get involve in recovering the car which is now repaired and is on the street.

the third party insurance is not willing to pay as they think car is repairable and not total loss
    solicitor says lets take the third party insurance to court

Confused, Desperate, Deceived, Hopeless, begging for honest advice specially if had similar experience
    thanks

Re: They sold my car without my knowledge

Hi, It isn't my area but these couple bits jumped out at me.....

Is the solicitor
    solicitor says lets take the third party insurance to court
    the one from the accident management company ?

the third party insurance is not willing to pay as they think car is repairable and not total loss
    .... they are right ...
    the car which is now repaired and is on the street.
    Who is the accident management company?

Did your insurance pay out?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Re: They sold my car without my knowledge

Firstly, do not return the V5 confirming change of keeper, make sure you contact the DVLA and make them aware that the vehicle is subject to disputed ownership and NOT to issue a new V5 to the person who applied.

Secondly, as it was a no-fault accident, who's insurance are you claiming from, were you covered to drive your wifes vehicle fully comprehensive or as third party only?

Your own insurance company should be pursuing this for you, as should the finance company, as technically the vehicle belongs to them and is not yours to sell until finance is cleared.

Do you have a copy of the finance agreement to post up (remove personal details first)
      Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X