• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Disciplinary hearing for gross misconduct

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Disciplinary hearing for gross misconduct

People are human, and I think we all fall short of being perfect. I made a mistake - that's all. It has cost me my job and all the problems that entails. But no one died, it was a mistake in venting about a company that had put all of us in a difficult situation (which caused someone else to begin the conversation which I took a part in). I will learn from this as I said before it's one of life's lessons. I did not deny or try to wriggle out of anything. This mistake has probably cost me my career. Apart from this one act of sheer stupidity on my part I have a 30 year unblemished work history and hope this reflects my character more than a mistaken outburst and hopefully ultimately it is my long standing history that will ultimately allow me to work again. As I said, I know of no one that is perfect.

Comment

"Once the master / servant relationship is breached, that employee should be shown the door. Who wants to pay for disloyalty?"

Loyalty works both ways. Under no circumstances would I work for a prat who treats his/her employees as servants!

Comment

Yes it does. We are all free to leave our employers as long as we abide by the contract of employment.
        Unfortunately, case law prevails and the relationship I outlined does nearly always be upheld.
        I'm not suggesting employers treat their people as servants. The term is widely used in law courts and tribunals against disgruntled employees.

Comment

Did you ask for an agreed reference as part of your resignation as you would still need to declare that you worked for them when applying for other jobs..

Comment

No I didn't ask anything as I was so worked up I couldn't speak to be honest. I typed up a statement the night before which I asked them to read and this included my resignation.

Comment

It could not be emphasised enough that you should never ever treat the social media as private. Even within 'private' groups or 'private' messages, be vigilant and careful.

Anything you post online can be used against you and used it will!

Saying something verbally is often not so bad (as more difficult to prove) but even then, think carefully what you say about your employer, boss, colleagues and clients!

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                • Employers have back up systems. If you delete your emails, they can be easily restored. A friend of mine found this out the hard way nearly 12 years ago, when he deleted all my emails after I told him I'd been suspended, they were all restored. He didn't even work for the same company as me, yet he got sacked and it had nothing to do with my emails to him but that was what prompted the investigation and they found a couple of other things on there.
                • Companies back up all files on the network so if you temporarily save something, then delete it, it will be stored somewhere on a searchable system.
                • There are data recovery programs to restore data deleted from your computer.
                • If you ever access your personal emails or any other remote data storage system from work, so can your employers. Passwords get saved on your computer.
                I don't think it is quite as simple for employers to access emails, especially personal emails, without having a clear statement in the employee handbook or other notification system detailing the how why and when, and the penalties for breaches. They also should tell for how long your emails are retained in the system.

The Regulation of investigatory powers act 2000 means they can only intentionally open emails with prior consent between any involved parties.
                Looking at employees emails might also cause a breach of the Telecommunications Regulations 2000 and even the Data Protection Act.

Comment

I'm surprised that you think that.
                  If any member of my staff was using my company equipment inappropriately, they wouldn't be a member of my staff for long.
                  I wouldn't be bothered about RIPA or similar. We use the commonsense approach.
                  Do you think I should advise staff that they mustn't steal, grope other staff, abuse customers and suchlike, or do you think potential offenders would already know what is acceptable, please?

Comment

Many would say we don't live in a commonsense time. The days of employers doing whatever they feel like doing are disappearing and that is necessary.
                    What is inappropriate for you could be acceptable for another and so these things do need to be stated to remove doubt. Employee handbooks and the like are vital, your employees do need to know what you deem to be gross misconduct and the process for dealing with it.

The greatest issue employers have these days is not having a policy for social media use in work or devices brought into the workplace.
                    It does humour me that you would not be bothered about RIPA, any others you are not bothered about? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Comment

Do you work in the public sector, please?

Comment

Originally posted by sean5302 View Post
                        Do you work in the public sector, please?

Haha, found out, yes but only for the last few years.

Comment

The question here is what is inappropriate use?

My understanding would be visiting offensive websites, posting inappropriate comments, including offensive language.

Not long ago there was a case where an employee of a third party company posted hate mail on the net, involving a c word in full. He was stupid enough not to realise that the IP address could be used as a proof. It goes without saying that he got fired for bringing the end user in disrepute.

In some companies visiting social media sites using the company PC/Mac is forbidden. In many companies allow light personal use of the internet, others don't. For this reason all companies should have a handbook, giving clear guidelines what is acceptable and what's not.

Comment

Agreed.
                            It's a UK phenomenon.
                            When I travel to Germany every month, there is never the ethic there to do personal work on company time. It's a completely different regime. Same in France, Belgium, Italy, Poland and India.
                            The thought of office staff going on social media or the likes of ebay or Amazon is viewed by staff as akin to theft.
                            In the UK it seems OK. I see receptionists chatting away about last night's tv programmes, their relationships and suchlike. I wonder why that is.

Comment

I will probably be told off for this and even said to be discriminating but in my experience the English are not seen the best staff by many companies. I don't want to generalise, but whilst the media goes on about immigration, foreigners taking our jobs etc., shouldn't we ask why that is?

Aussies, Kiwis and (mainly) white South Africans are favoured by investment banks, whilst Eastern Europeans are liked in catering, construction etc. They are all seen as hard working and unspoilt.

Having said that, it's hard to be motivated if you are on a zero hour contract, not knowing if there's anything for you tomorrow.

Many Antipodeans are here on a short term working holiday visas and keen to make as much money as quickly as possible. That partly explains their enthusiasm.

It is true that German work ethics are very different. However, employees also have far more rights than here. Could that explain it or is it just a cultural thing?

When it comes to France (where I have worked on a couple of occasions briefly), I don't think it's much different from the UK.

Comment

In Germany, we have workers' representatives on management boards. They really do have the best interests of the workers and the company at heart. None of the adversarial shenanigans seen in the UK. For workers to prosper, they seem to recognise that the company has to do the same.
                                In France, it's easy to time an operation and give workers just enough time to do the task. I'm thinking of assembly operations and suchlike at Renault, and Peugeot-Citroen for example. Lean manufacturing principles apply. All that is needed is then to reduce secretaries and seat-warmers.
                                It just doesn't seem to apply in UK companies.
                                I know what you mean about racist overtones, but I guarantee that, after you've employed a Polish builder in your house, you'd never want a British tea-swiller again. I don't think that's racist. I think it's telling it as it is.
                                People talk about British jobs for British people, but the reality is that 360,000 immigrants came to work here last year, principally because our own indigenous people won't do the work.
                                Benefits too high?
                                Expectations too high?
                                The Chinese have a phrase. "No worky, no eaty".

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X