• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Living in Scotland - DCA attempting to recover under Limitations Act (England/Wales)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Living in Scotland - DCA attempting to recover under Limitations Act (England/Wal

Hi FlamingParrot

This is what I sent to the DCA on 24th October 2014, it was then answered by a "big brother" company who are all probably in the same office with different email accounts.

The email above was my follow-up email, some information in the email was from another website, which is why you don't recognise it:

In respect of the above account, your company have contacted me which you claim is owed by myself.

It is my understanding that under The Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973, Part 1: Prescription, Section 6:

“If after an appropriate date, an obligation (an appropriate debt) has subsided for a continuous period of five years:

(a) without any relevant claim having been made in relation to the obligation, and

(b) without the subsistence of the obligation having been relevantly acknowledged;

then as from the expiration of that period the obligation shall be extinguished...”

It is also my understanding that the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) guidance for Debt Collection Companies for statute barred states that:

“It is unfair to pursue the debt if the debtor has heard nothing from the creditor during the relevant limitation period”.

The last payment of this debt was made over five years ago and no further acknowledgement or payment has been made since that time.

Unless you can provide evidence of payment or written contact from me in the relevant period under Part 1, Section 6 of the above Act, I would respectfully suggest that you are no longer able to take any further action against me to recover the alleged amount claimed.

Should you continue to pursue this account without providing this evidence I shall seek an interdict and damages accordingly. A formal complaint will also be made to Trading Standards along with a report to the FCA questioning your fitness to hold a consumer credit licence.

The OFT Debt Collection Guidance states further that:

“continuing to press for payment after a debtor has stated that they will not be paying a debt because it is statute barred could amount to harassment”.

I await your written confirmation that no further contact will be made concerning the above account and confirmation that this matter is now closed.

I look forward to your reply.
    ------------------------------------

It's a little more than your version, but should have worked. The only thing I didn't put on it was a reply timeframe...

Comment

Re: Living in Scotland - DCA attempting to recover under Limitations Act (England/Wal

Mate, I would just leave it. Keeping in contact with them only keeps their jaws on the bone, so to speak.

Comment

Ok, I will bear this in mind, thank you.

Comment

Hi everyone...

After a good long messing around with the Debt Collection Agency, they decided to close my account. Whether they knew they couldn't chase this debt or from what they thought was a sixth year towards an English statute barred date...it doesn't matter now.

I received a letter in writing from the Debt Collection Agency stating that they were still correct in terms that it was English law and that was that, it appears they are judge and jury...

They finished their letter with the fact that the account has been closed, I owe nothing to them and basically don't respond to the letter as they won't reply...hehe lol

So, the debt has now vanished from my Credit File as it has been six years anyway and this has given me an extra seven points to my Credit Score, yippee!!!

A big thank you to everyone who replied to this thread, your assistance is much appreciated... :clap2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X