• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marstons and TV License Fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marstons and TV License Fine

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
    Sorry for all the questions just trying to get a clear picture.

When the bailiff initially called last year, was this before or after April 6th ?
    No problem, sorry I can't give you any better answers.

I believe it was before April 6th

Comment

I am still a bit confused here. Most importantly though have you made Marstons Group aware of your financial circumstances?

The statutory regulations are now very clear in that bailiff fees for court fines are exactly the same as the fees for all other debts (council tax etc) and trying to get out of paying them is difficult at best...and more so once a personal visit has been made.

It is important that Marston's are made aware of your financial circumstances.

I was trying to find out from you more about the dates when previous visits or letters had been sent to establish whether you had already been charged bailiff fees BEFORE 6th April 2014. This is an important point and if you could clarify that would really help.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
        I am still a bit confused here. Most importantly though have you made Marstons Group aware of your financial circumstances?

The statutory regulations are now very clear in that bailiff fees for court fines are exactly the same as the fees for all other debts (council tax etc) and trying to get out of paying them is difficult at best...and more so once a personal visit has been made.

I was trying to find out from you more about the dates when previous visits or letters had been sent to establish whether you had already been charged bailiff fees BEFORE 6th April 2014. This is an important point and if you could clarify that would really help.
        Hi, I literally have no paperwork from last year as far as I know it was before April.

What is the best way to tell marston of my financial situation?

Thanks

Comment

If I can some how get hold of the £70 could I pay it directly to the court? Would that help (there is a minute chance I may be able to borrow the money from my Mother)

Comment

Originally posted by mooching View Post
            If I can some how get hold of the £70 could I pay it directly to the court? Would that help (there is a minute chance I may be able to borrow the money from my Mother)
            The problem with this is that since the new regulations last April all courts are now forwarding direct payments onto Marstons.

Could you make enquiries with Marston's to find out what fees have been applied. During your call explain calmly (don't get upset) that you have serious financial problems and that you will be emailing the company over the weekend with details. Be prepared to be told that you must speak with the bailiff but try to keep calm and say that you are not refusing to pay but you want your details recorded on your file as you have tried all ways to borrow the money etc.

PS: I am not around this afternoon but will come back early evening.

Comment

The problem with this is that since the new regulations last April all courts are now forwarding direct payments onto Marstons.

Could you make enquiries with Marston's to find out what fees have been applied. During your call explain calmly (don't get upset) that you have serious financial problems and that you will be emailing the company over the weekend with details. Be prepared to be told that you must speak with the bailiff but try to keep calm and say that you are not refusing to pay but you want your details recorded on your file as you have tried all ways to borrow the money etc.

PS: I am not around this afternoon but will come back early evening.
              Hi, thanks I will contact them although I don't have any way to call them so I will have to email them, is there an email address that is good to contact them on? What should I do over the weekend if the bailiff turns up again?

Many Thanks

Comment

Hi, thanks I will contact them although I don't have any way to call them so I will have to email them, is there an email address that is good to contact them on? What should I do over the weekend if the bailiff turns up again?

Many Thanks
                If you have a car I would park it we out of the way until this is resolved.

What we are trying to work out is if the fees have been duplicated on your account. I would contact them as Milo says and make arrangement to repay the amount they are demanding in the first instance. offer an income and outgoings statement if it helps. Once the arrangement is in place and the immediate pressure is off we can look into the legitimacy of the fees. The problem with querying the fees at this stage in your case is that they are likely to think you are just trying to get out of payment.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                  If you have a car I would park it we out of the way until this is resolved.

What we are trying to work out is if the fees have been duplicated on your account. I would contact them as Milo says and make arrangement to repay the amount they are demanding in the first instance. offer an income and outgoings statement if it helps. Once the arrangement is in place and the immediate pressure is off we can look into the legitimacy of the fees. The problem with querying the fees at this stage in your case is that they are likely to think you are just trying to get out of payment.
                  Okay I understand, thank you to you and Milo for helping I appreciate it.

Neither myself or my partner have a car so nothing to worry about there, so should we just ignore the bailiff if he turns up over the weekend?

I have sent an email with what Milo suggested to as many email addresses for marston as I could find, would it be advisable to follow with a letter ?

Thanks again

Comment

Okay I understand, thank you to you and Milo for helping I appreciate it.

Neither myself or my partner have a car so nothing to worry about there, so should we just ignore the bailiff if he turns up over the weekend?

I have sent an email with what Milo suggested to as many email addresses for marston as I could find, would it be advisable to follow with a letter ?

Thanks again

I would just tell him that you have sent a payment proposal and that you have been in touch with his office. Don't let him in.

Comment

don't let him in you have given the office an offer based on what you can afford no sense in having him try to harass you further. Ignore any threats and if he calls record it all

Comment

[MENTION=41182]andy58[/MENTION] & [MENTION=30402]Milo[/MENTION]

Today I received a reply via Letter from Marston (ref email sent a week a go) they literally listed the amounts/fees from the notice the bailiff put through my door (see first post) and told me to contact the bailiff.

In my email I specifically requested;
                        'details of the original amount and the fees added and the payments made, and also the current amount and what fees have been added.'

When I got home half an hour ago from collecting my daughter from nursery the bailiff was sitting in his van outside my house and I had to rush to get in and away from him.

He then shoved a handwritten note through my letter box saying he needed my contact number.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X