• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Wordpress issues with registration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wordpress issues with registration

Bit of a longshot - any body know how to properly remove the ability for anyone to register on a Wordpress site.

All the standard allow registration options are turned off.

I still need to be able to set up users back end, and they need to be able to log in, but front end I don't want registrations.

There's about 50 new registrations a day at the moment, on each of two sites, and it is driving me, and my email inbox, potty - they aren't posting or anything, just registering.

(I know I could turn off email notification of registrations but one of the sites has over 5000 registrants on now and I expect its having an impact server space wise so rather keep an eye on it while I try fix it )
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps
    Tags: None

Re: Wordpress issues with registration

Vulnerable plugin perhaps?

I've only had a very brief play with wordpress, so that is about the end of my knowledge.

EDIT: Probably no use at all now, but: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...rs-registering

Comment

I'm reckoning it must be, as both sites are set up with the same plug ins and the same thing is happening. I can't work out where they are registering, which is an issue, because I can't make sure it is fixed (by turning plug ins off and on etc) if I don't know where they are getting in .... if that makes sense - else it's turn off a plug in and wait a few hours to see if anyone registers - and there's about 30 plug ins....
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post

EDIT: Probably no use at all now, but: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/...rs-registering
        This is the wp-signup page
        Attached Files
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Well seems from that link that some exploits can use accounts already register to pry their way past the usual registration form?

Dunno really though. I'm just guessing based on not even slightly enough knowledge of WP.

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            This is the wp-signup page
            Yes, I had a look at that the other day - when you mentioned in chatbox - by typing in the url manually, and having a go.

It told me to bog off.

Does sound to me as if they are bypassing the actual form in some way.

Comment

does doesn't it..... bogger. They aren't doing anything and I don't want to spend hours (more) trying to fix the bloody thing so will leave this here and maybe someone will have had the same issue and fixed it so can tell me how to lol. Thank you for looking xx
              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Hi there. Make sure you are fully patched and have dealt with all other issues on the server (check file by file for unknown scripts). Most likely the new users are being added into the database outside of wordpress through some other vulnerability. Check that all folders have the correct permissions and that any upload folders have .htaccess set to prevent code arriving and being run.

Comment

Hi. Check acsess to xml rpc.php. as i think a login can be leveridged there. In fact you acsess logs will give u a clue. There is software that checks for all vunerabilitys in wp.
                  crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
                    does doesn't it..... bogger. They aren't doing anything and I don't want to spend hours (more) trying to fix the bloody thing so will leave this here and maybe someone will have had the same issue and fixed it so can tell me how to lol. Thank you for looking xx
                    Don't think you can leave it as they potentially have full control to your world...is this on the main LB server?

Comment

Yes. I'm not sure I can amend the htaccess files ? - I know I can't do the wordpress update automatically ( and just haven't had time to update it manually ) so I think nimbus might have closed it off again. I really don't know I'm afraid.
                      #staysafestayhome

Comment

maybe test with a vulnerability scanner. it will tell you if theres any openings . i will pm you a link to what i use, its specifically for wordpress sites
                        crazy council ( as in local council,NELC ) as a member of the public, i don't get mad, i get even

Comment

As I couldn't fix it I've added a different registration spam blocker.

Seems to be working, killed 17 since midnight last night anyway, so we'll see how it goes.
                          #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X