• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax from 2010 - Rossendales Chasing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax from 2010 - Rossendales Chasing

I had an old council tax debt from a property I lived at with my ex husband in 2010, a bailiff from Rossendales called at my new home last July 2014 to collect a sum of £385.68, which I believed to be the total outstanding sum for the council tax for the small period of time we lived at the property (9 months), as we had also paid some direct debits whilst living there. The Rossendales Bailiff left me with a receipt, with the amount owing saying NIL, so I beleived that was the end to the situation.

During January 2015, I have had another bailiff from Rossendales, who has called twice and on both occasions left a letter stating that I owe £1052.64. I sent them a copy of my receipt from the payment made in July 2014, and did not receive a response. So I wrote to the council who were chasing the debt via Rossendales. Their response was as follows:

Thank you for your email in respect of the above Council Tax which you were liable for from 13 March 2010 to
    22 November 2010 (the date you provided on the form when you left the property but did not give us a forwarding address)

By this time we had already passed the £81.18 bill for 2009/2010 (your liability from 13 March 2010 to 31 March 2010 ) to Rossendales in August 2010 but it appears that they have had difficulty in contacting you as you have moved properties several times. With our costs and their charges added on they eventually collected £385.68 for this charge from you in July last year.

We did receive 2 direct debit payments from you totalling £346.48 for 2010/2011 whilst you lived in the property but as the charge for the period you were there was £1040.02 there was still a balance of £693.64 when you moved out. The Council proceeded with recovery against this amount and eventually £778.64 was passed to Rossendales on 13 April 2011 to collect.

As you can see the responsibility to collect this payment has been with the Enforcement Agents for some time so any issues with what you were told at the time you made a payment in July will need to be addressed by them.

I trust this information is sufficient.

The advice I am asking is, should I pay the Liability Order amount £778.64 directly to the council, or will Rossendales continue to chase me for the full £1052.64?

I don't understand why Rossendales left it so long to chase the other amount and failed to even mention it, the first I knew about it was a hand delivered letter through my door.
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax from 2010 - Rossendales Chasing

You need to contact the ea and request a breakdown of the fees applied to this account. If enforcement taken prior to April last will be subject to the earlier feescale

Comment

A breakdown is definitely required. Copy the council in also, as Rossendales are amongst the most secretive and reluctant to be transparent of all bailiff companies. Make sure you get a breakdown for both accounts.

In addition, you should respond to the council and remind them that Rossendales are their agents and that the council are ultimately responsible for any actions carried out by their agents. Ask what actions Rossendales have carried out since receiving this account in April 2011 (almost 4 years ago) Ask why the latest account was not also mentioned when they visited in July 2014. Ask whether you have been charged 2 x enforcement fees and whether the council consider this to be in line with legislation, if you have. State that you believe there has been some mistakes made in the handling of these two accounts and that you would ask for enforcement action to be suspended whilst the situation is looked into.

Once you get the answers and the breakdown of the 2 accounts, post back and we'll advise you further. If the council refuse to suspend action, post back immediately & we'll get a formal complaint in. The request for a breakdown of fees should include the following:
      1. The date any enforcement action incurred a fee.
      2. The reason for that fee
      3. The amount of the fee

Comment

Thank you. I will contact them today and post whatever they send to me back on here.

Thanks so much for your help

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X