• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell not providing evidence of mobile phone debt saying its outsource to ScottcallI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell not providing evidence of mobile phone debt saying its outsource to ScottcallI

Hi Everyone,

New member here and first post of the forums. Judging by what I have read here and elsewhere on t'internet, I'll become a regular as I try to sort out an ongoing saga with Lowell...

I opened a mobile phone contract about 10 years ago, kept it for at least two years and definitely saw the contract out. I followed all the correct process to cancel the contract when I moved to a PAYG sim (which I have been on every since).

In mid December last year I got a copy of my credit file and found I have a default registered by Three (now owned by Lowell) for the mobile phone contract. It was registered in 2012 (the default) and has around 3.5 years left to run. My credit file / behaviour is otherwise prestine, not a single missed payment etc ever, but the score has taken a massive hit due to this default.

I did some research and decided to write to Lowell in late December to request them to supply the information such as copy of credit agreements etc. They wrote back saying that they no longer manage the account which outsourced and managed by Scotcall.

Can someone help me with the following questions?
    1. Am I right in thinking that Lowell, as the registered owner of the debt, must provide this information? So far, they have produced nothing.
    2. Is there a guideline / law I can quote in a letter to Lowell to remind them that they need to answer my request for information, and not push me off to Scotcall. I don't want to contact Scotcall if possible. There is no formal record of them on my credit files, and I am loath to complicate this problem any more than it has to be.
    3. Would a SAR request to help in this situation?
    4. When should I involve the onbudsman (FCA) and / or information commissioners office?

Thanks for your help.
    Tags: None

Re: Lowell not providing evidence of mobile phone debt saying its outsource to Scottc

Bump - any advice anyone?

Comment

Re: Lowell not providing evidence of mobile phone debt saying its outsource to Scottc

Hi Welcome to LB,
      Mobile Phone Contracts are service contracts not Consumer Credit Act Regulated Agreements.
      A SAR to Lowell will achieve little as only the most basic details are passed on when debts are sold.
      A SAR to 3 may produce some information, bearing in mind that the default was placed by 3 Not Lowell
      which has only up dated the credit file when the debt was purchased.

My guess is that there may have been some outstanding charges when the account was closed causing this problem.

The regulatory bodies wont get involved until you have exhausted all other means of settling the alleged error the default may well be correct, so SAR to Three £10.0 statutory fee to pay they have 40 days to comply.
      Once you receive the data and have analysed it you will be able to make a Formal Complaint if there is an error with the default.

nem

Comment

Thanks for your help. I will follow your advice and put a SAR into Three.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X