• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Debt Collector Letters Misleading!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell Debt Collector Letters Misleading!

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
    And please, never talk to a DCA or debt buyer unless you record the call!
    I asked them several times to confirm that the call was recorded and they advised me that it was, unfortunately I wasn't in a position to record the call myself.

Comment

Originally posted by OliverJB View Post
      I asked them several times to confirm that the call was recorded and they advised me that it was, unfortunately I wasn't in a position to record the call myself.
      So did they make the employer threats in a letter or a call? Tell us all. And tell us about the original dispute with Orange.

Comment

We know they write their letters in such a way that the recipient takes in the nasty bits rather than the whole. They rely on ignorance of the law. The most insidious type of statement is ‘When we gain judgment, we shall...’ – fortunately, this is becoming less common, but replacing ‘When’ with ‘If’ is lost on most people who are simply scared of the implications.
        Believe me, I know that full well.

Comment

If a defaulted debt is " paid off" in part as full & final settlement the credit file should be marked "
          "partially satisfied and will remain on file for the balance of the 6 year "life" of the default, as the record must be accurate and up to date.
          It is the original creditor that places a default the DCA/ Debt Purchaser only updates the existing entry with its details, the default date remains the same.

As to disputes there is nothing to stop a creditor concluding that there in no longer a dispute in its eyes issuing a final response and selling the debt.
          When you pay this off make the payment conditional on the remaining balance is not to be sold or assigned for collection to any 3rd party, do not send any payment until you have this in writing.

This situation proves one thing,. It is never a wise thing to attempt to negotiate with DCA by telephone.

nem

Comment

So did they make the employer threats in a letter or a call? Tell us all. And tell us about the original dispute with Orange.
            It was in a letter, but I don't know where that letter is as we have moved house since and the letters were all bundled together in one of the boxes that i may or may not have already opened?

But it was 100% in writing

Comment

As said, I would bet it was couched with many 'ifs' and 'mays' etc.

Comment

And tell us about the original dispute with Orange.
                I had my own business a number of years ago and although the phone was taken out in my name, it was paid for using a business card, and the bank account paying off the line rental was in the business name. I sold the business in 2012 and forgot about the phone. As it was in my name, it was my responsibility but I argued the fact that it was the business' phone and should have not fallen back onto me!

I disputed this on the phone with Orange several times, but they now say they can't see ANYTHING on their files to do with me.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                  As said, I would bet it was couched with many 'ifs' and 'mays' etc.
                  Probably along the lines of.

http://i.imgur.com/73fc5P4.jpg

Though think they may have ditched Hamptons now after the whole fake lawyer letter debacle.

Comment

That feels very much like the letter i received

Comment

Was the contract in the Business name? was it a Ltd company?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                        Was the contract in the Business name? was it a Ltd company?
                        The contract was in my name, paid off by the company bank account.

Comment

Originally posted by Nibbler View Post
                          Probably along the lines of.

http://i.imgur.com/73fc5P4.jpg

Though think they may have ditched Hamptons now after the whole fake lawyer letter debacle.
                          Now Called the " Pre Legal Assessment Department" next desk to the dodgy discount and duff debt departments.

nem

Comment

That's it Nem. Knew I had heard and read it somewhere, but could not bring it to mind.

Comment

Probably staffed by a trainee paralegal/tea boy!!!

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                                Probably staffed by a trainee paralegal/tea boy!!!
                                Or just a printer....

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X