• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell Debt Collector Letters Misleading!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lowell Debt Collector Letters Misleading!

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
    Now Called the " Pre Legal Assessment Department" next desk to the dodgy discount and duff debt departments.

nem
    That’s still a very misleading letter, isn’t it? Says nothing about succeeding with a claim before enforcement. Stinks.

Comment

Originally posted by OliverJB View Post
      The contract was in my name, paid off by the company bank account.
      Was it paid by DD, set up in the name of the company? Did you access it online as a business customer, for example? I’ve been with Orange since 1996 and it’s always been via the business side.

If you simply claimed it as expenses then, sadly, if it was opened in your name as an individual, you’re stuck with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        Was it paid by DD, set up in the name of the company? Did you access it online as a business customer, for example? I’ve been with Orange since 1996 and it’s always been via the business side.

If you simply claimed it as expenses then, sadly, if it was opened in your name as an individual, you’re stuck with it.
        I'm stuck with it

Comment

The letter is a bit small to read on my laptop but looking a some Lowell threatograms there is just above the Attachment threat a bit about applying to the County Court for a judgement and if successful we may...................

I guess that gets the past the alleged misleading statement.
          Some years ago the OFT and the CSA issued guidance on " debt collection letters" and many were rewritten this one has been the same for years.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
            The letter is a bit small to read on my laptop but looking a some Lowell threatograms there is just above the Attachment threat a bit about applying to the County Court for a judgement and if successful we may...................

I guess that gets the past the alleged misleading statement.
            Some years ago the OFT and the CSA issued guidance on " debt collection letters" and many were rewritten this one has been the same for years.

nem
            Yeah, the Hamptons letter is from only five months ago but mentions nothing about first succeeding with the claim. Definitely worth a complaint if you get one of those.

As you can’t see it, nem, I’ll transcribe. The Hamptons letter says:

“As you are a homeowner, it is very likely we will apply to the County Court for a Judgment against you ordering you to repay the outstanding balance. If you still do not pay, we will consider the following enforcement action:

etc”

So no mention of actually succeeding with the claim, or stating that it can be defended. The implication is that it will be granted on application, and enforcement action will follow. Totally misrepresents the true legal position.

Comment

Thank you!

nem

Comment

Thanks for that.

Nem

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X