• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My late fathers property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My late fathers property

Hi all

New here, i was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. Im willing to do all the leg work necessary, but if i can be pointed in the right direction when possible i would really appreciate it. I don't have the funds to be chasing this through the courts. My dad died a few years ago, he had a partner and a son by her, but they no longer lived together, his partner was living in council accommodation and in receipt of housing benefit. Now there was a will (my dad always said so, and was very organised) but strangely enough this was never found. Anyway my dads partner moved straight into his house from her council paid property without my say so. At the time i thought it best not to say anything as my dad had just passed. But they stayed and never left, i have requested that the property be valued etc and she refuses anyone any entry. She even tried to say that i had been legally adopted by my mums partner so i wasn't entitled to anything (this was never true as i was never adopted) she eventually said she would like to buy me out of the property at £1000 at £30 per month ( yeah i know......and the property is worth £85000) so she has acknowledged that i have an interest in the property regardless? my question is this, it is still on the land registry in my dads name, and i need it transferred to mine and my half brothers so that i can then look at getting it sold or buy them out. Please please can someone assist me in what to do next as she really is taking the mick now. Ive tried to be fair and play fair but she is trying to make sure i get nothing, how do i go about getting the land registry changed and go from here?

Thank you
    Tags: None

Re: My late fathers property

I imagine probate will need to be obtained in these circumstances
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan..._intestacy.htm

Comment

Ask his bank if they have his will on file and it might be worth ringing round some local solicitors to see if they have copy of the will.

Comment

Originally posted by CYNthesys View Post
        I imagine probate will need to be obtained in these circumstances
        http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/englan..._intestacy.htm
        I believe it already was, im not sure on what happens with probate, the solicitors that were dealing with the estate have advised us both to get legal help as they cannot represent us both. So im wondering what i do from here? i haven't got the money to throw at this.

Comment

Originally posted by seduraed View Post
          Ask his bank if they have his will on file and it might be worth ringing round some local solicitors to see if they have copy of the will.
          Wouldn't probate already have tried this avenue?

Comment

if the solicitors handled the estate and did not find a will they would presume there was not one if there was a will it would be used to settle and divide the estate as per instructions cannot see how you could find a will if no one claims there was one.

Comment

Hi and welcome.
              you say your father died some years ago, but indicate that the will you believe existed has not been discovered, and are suggesting his affairs have not been sorted.
              Have the banks, DWP, Taxman etc been advised.?
              Have any debts been settled, and if so by whom?
              What has happened to any other assets he may have had?
              The first move is to obtain letters of administration.
              There is an order of priority for this... Spouse or civil partner first and then children.
              When you have letters of administration you will be able to sort out the house

Comment

Des the OP says solicitors who dealt with estate ?

Comment

Yeah Wales..... I was typing away and distracted, posted and found things had moved on!!!!

Comment

Have you tried checking the probate register

Comment

All new to me is this, i was serving in the military at the time this happened. When he passed, there was no will found, so it went to probate i believe. My late father and his ex partner didnt live together, and there were only two children....one being myself and the other being my half brother. I can check the probate register online? and im guessing i would get the administration letters from the solicitor that dealt with probate?

Comment

Here is the Gov site with info etc on checking if probate has been granted, also other info that may help you.
                        Just make sure if you revisit this site by Google to go to the official Gov site, there are sites out there that will charge a lot more for this service you can easily do yourself.

https://www.gov.uk/wills-probate-inh...robate-records

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X