• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Collectica partial fine .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectica partial fine .

Good afternoon!

Last year i was charged for £126 for a train ticket fine thought the magistrates court. I thought I paid all of the fine until I got a letter through from collectica yesterday (4th febuary).

I contacted the magistrates court this morning and I was informed that i owed £17. I asked why I never received any letters stating the previous payments and that the courts were bring it further.
    It turn out that they had my old address and not my new one that i have been in since September (I left my last house in may).

Collectica are looking for £327, which I presume comprises of the Compliance fee of £75,Enforcement fee of £235 and the original £17.

I paid another £20 last night to the courts, but they said that will be passed on to collectica.

Does anybody have any advice on what to do? it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Collectica partial fine .

Statuatory declaration to the court to prove there is no way you could have had knowledge of proceedings should suffice here.
    None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases

Comment

What does this evolve? Both sides seem to say they have nothing to do with it. Will I have to write an email/letter to somebody?

Thanks for your reply.

Comment

There is evidence of proceedings they part paid the fine!

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
          There is evidence of proceedings they part paid the fine!
          I agreed over the phone to pay in installments. I paid for some over the phone and some online. I was certain that i had paid it all off, but obviously my math was incorrect.

I never received any conformation for the phone payments, but its clear why now.

Since i never received and information that my case was being escalated to collectica or the revised payment plan, would that be in my favour?

Comment

Collectica would disagree and state they sent a letter and called this charging fees you need to get info from them to be able to fight this

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              Collectica would disagree and state they sent a letter and called this charging fees you need to get info from them to be able to fight this
              What sort of information would I need to get? I'll ring them now.

Comment

Originally posted by josephbloggs View Post
                Statuatory declaration to the court to prove there is no way you could have had knowledge of proceedings should suffice here.
                Could be very difficult if the Court was not informed of a change of address at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                  Could be very difficult if the Court was not informed of a change of address at the time.
                  I'm not 100% sure, but I think I gave either my home address or my home mobile number over the phone.

I decided not to ring Collectica today, but instead email them. Hopefully if it is in writing it will benefit me.

What exactly do i need to find out from them?
                  Last edited by Petty1; 10th February 2015, 16:49:PM.

Comment

can anybody offer any help on what to say in the e-mail tomorrow? Would it be possible to get rid of the 215 pounds charge since I didn't receive the letter?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Petty1 View Post
                      can anybody offer any help on what to say in the e-mail tomorrow? Would it be possible to get rid of the 215 pounds charge since I didn't receive the letter?

Any help would be appreciated.
                      A couple of points. Firstly, you clearly knew of the fine so a statutory declaration is not applicable. Secondly, on the matter of your address, Members of Parliament discussed this point when debating Further Steps Notices and it was made very clear indeed in the debate that if a debtor moves address then it is their duty to advise the court.

There are two points that are of concern:

Firstly, the amount of £215 was the figure that Collectica were allowed to charge debtors before 6th April last year. Since that time, the prescribed fee permitted in the legislation is £235. Can you check the amount and post back.

My last point is the most serious once and this concerns the 'starting figure' of just £17. My personal view of this is that the court should really be taken to task for issuing a warrant of control for such a nominal sum. The Compliance fee alone of £75 is over four times the amount of the remaining court fine and is therefore wholly disproportionate.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Milo.

Originally posted by Milo View Post
                        A couple of points. Firstly, you clearly knew of the fine so a statutory declaration is not applicable. Secondly, on the matter of your address, Members of Parliament discussed this point when debating Further Steps Notices and it was made very clear indeed in the debate that if a debtor moves address then it is their duty to advise the court.
                        Yes, I agree with you. It never even crossed my mind that the mail was coming to that house. That was my fault.

Firstly, the amount of £215 was the figure that Collectica were allowed to charge debtors before 6th April last year. Since that time, the prescribed fee permitted in the legislation is £235. Can you check the amount and post back.
                        I have emailed collectica requesting the breakdown of the charges. Hopefully if I keep everything in writing it will be easier.

My last point is the most serious once and this concerns the 'starting figure' of just £17. My personal view of this is that the court should really be taken to task for issuing a warrant of control for such a nominal sum. The Compliance fee alone of £75 is over four times the amount of the remaining court fine and is therefore wholly disproportionate.
                        My debt now is 19 times greater than what I owed.

Comment

Still no reply. I thought they would be quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post

I received an email back today

Fine amount when issued to Collectica: £17.00

Outstanding balance at present: £322.00

Compliance Fee: £75.00
                            Enforcement fee: £235.00

Payments: £5.00
                            I also received a removal notice on since Friday.

Comment

Hello everybody!

I contacted Collectica and made them in Offer of £18 per month. This is what what I received back.

Unfortunately we are unable to accept the offer of £18Per month as this is not within the guide lines of our client .

We are able to offer an arrangement on your account, please see below arrangement offers. The arrangements that we are offering are the minimum we are able to accept within the strict guidelines provided by our client West Midlands magistrates.

£49.00 Per week OR £215.00 Per Month

In order to prevent further action please contact us immediately on 0844 800 4588 to confirm your agreement of this offer.

Does anybody have any advice? It would be very much appreciated.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X