• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can insurance company sue me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can insurance company sue me?

Well Weightmans is a firm of solicitors and a DCA that buys debt.
    Although your post 69 seems to indicate they are acting on behalf of your old insurers, I would still ask them to clarify for whom exactly are they working.
    If it is your previous insurers ask them for the name and address of that company, the person they are dealing with and the relevant policy number.
    You are doing this because your liability policy requires you to correspond only with your insurers and they have not notified you of Weightmans involvement.
    Accordingly you do not feel you can assist them further until they supply you with this information.

I suspect all is not as they would hope you assume (but then I'm suspicious by nature.

Comment

Hi, I will l type up and show you what I am going to send them. I just want to put my head in the sand and wish, this would all go away.
      As a DCA, do you think they will try and collect debt directly from me?
      My daughters wedding in July and that's more than enough stress at this stage, i really don't want debt collectors hassling me for money, pounding at my door, especially when I have guests coming and going over next few months. :tinysmile_cry_t:

Comment

OK post up when you're ready.
        I shouldn't worry about this because as far as I can see your fully insured anyway.
        Get on and enjoy the wedding

Comment

Thanks for that, you leave this kind of trauma behind, but it still comes to bite, especially when I had nothing to with the fire. I will type one up in next couple of weeks. They are eager, I had another letter this morning, whereby weightmans is asking I call them.

Comment

At risk of advising you what you know already: Don't speak to them, at least until it is clear for whom they act.
            All communications should be in writing, hard copy or email.

Comment

I have no intentions in calling them at all, I will only ever communicate with them via post. I believe that is my right. Thanks.

Comment

Hello again. I typed up a very brief letter and will post out next week, if you feel I need to amend or add more meat on, then let me know. Thanks.

Can you kindly provide the name and address of the insurers you are acting on behalf of, the name of the person you are dealing with and the relevant policy number.

According to my liability policy it requires me to correspond only with my insurers and they have not notified me of Weightman’s involvement.

Accordingly I do not feel I can assist you further until you supply me with this information, and a copy of my original insurance policy as evidence which I believe is in hand.

Comment

I would rather word it:
                  Following our recent communications, I am unclear as to who are your principals,
                  Accordingly, for the removal of all doubt, please advise for whom you act.
                  If it is for my insurers, please confirm who they are, the department and the name of their employee with whom you are corresponding.

You will be well aware as solicitors that it is a condition of any liability policy that the policy holder, in the event of a possible claim, should only communicate with the insurer.
                  As yet I have not received instructions from my insurer that I should communicate with yourselves.

I would remind you that all correspondence should be in writing.

Yours......

Comment

More professional than mine, I shall use the above and post out next week, am I using the last sentence in the letter or was that for my purpose only:

I would remind you that all correspondence should be in writing.
                    Thanks

Comment

That's for them as well!

Comment

Hi, I had a reply from the solicitors as follows:
                        As previously confirmed, we are instructed by your contents insurers, Ageas Insurance (formerly Groupama Insurance). I have attached a copy of the relevant pages of your policy. Ageas have confirmed that your policy number was --------, should you wish to cross reference this with your documents.
                        We are instructed to consider the claim presented against you by LANDLORD and their insurers in respect of damage caused to their property following a fire in February 2010.
                        We have now received a formal letter of Claim from the solicitors who are instructed on behalf of LANDLORD/their insurers. They are holding you responsible for the damage caused to the property. In the event that a formal response is not provided to the Letter of Claim within 30 days, the Claimants have threatened to issue Court Proceeding against you.
                        It is therefore imperative that we speak to you as a matter of urgency in order that we may consider what action needs to be taken to respond to the Letter of Claim.
                        You will note that your contents policy provides for personal legal responsibility to others, provided that the terms of the policy are compiled with. In the event that the terms of your policy have been compiled with, the policy will cover you for the damages and costs relating to the claim now presented.
                        However, before we are able to consider if your policy will apply, we will need to discuss the incident with you. This will involve a telephone call where we will ask you questions about the fire at the property.
                        I would therefore be most grateful if you could contact my colleague.. Who will be able to answer any questions that you may have about our involvement, and about the claim that has been presented against you.

Comment

So I suggest that you cooperate fully with them, as it seems they are acting on behalf of your insurers (and therefore yourself),
                          My only concern is that they think you were insured at the time by Groupama, whilst you thought your insures were RSA. Did the policy extract sent you contain the period of insurance?

Comment

They sent a polcy dated 25.9.2007. I renewed my policies every year and this policy is 3 years previous to the 2010 one.
                            ONLY copies of the back pages - 5,7,8, 9, 10,11,14 were sent. Nothing else.
                            I went through Budget (like Go Compare) and RSA was the cheapest insurer at the time. I am guessing Groupama were above RSA?
                            Do you think I should call Ageus or try Groupama's OLD number (if it connects)
                            Do I have anything to worry about?

Comment

From your earlier posts it seems you are not sure who your insurers were at the time. It seems you renewed the policy right through to 2010
                              I shouldn't worry too much about that aspect as the company who have been approached would already have declined liability if it wasn't them.
                              IF a mistake has occurred a claim can be made against the correct insurers in due course.

Comment

I honestly do not know what to say to them. I will call my old insurers to confirm tomorrow that these solicitors are acting on their behalf. I have contacted the CAB to see if they can help.
                                All I remember is:
                                It was around 4am, I was in bed with my baby.
                                I heard fireworks outside.
                                When I looked out the back bedroom, I could see a fire at the side of the property.
                                I ran downstairs and her dad (NOT my partner at the time OR on the tenancy agreement or contents insurance policy) was shouting "FIRE"
                                I grabbed my baby and ran out of the house as the garage was 1 meter from the back of the house and the flames were HIGH.
                                A neighbour looked after us until the fire was put out 4 hours later.
                                Upon my return her dad was hiding under the quilt!!
                                I asked hin what had happened but he would not tell me.
                                The fire report stated "it was caused by a cigerette".
                                I left him as he was nothing but bad luck. He only moved in with me because he was evicted for not paying rent in his previous property. The landlord was happy just to keep my name on the tenancy agreement. We were ONLY there for one and a half years. From July 2008 - March 2010 . So I do not know why the solicitors have sent a policy that was NEVER related to this property....it does not show my name and address............
                                Her dad then told me a few days after the fire - that he had left a candle burning on the rug in the garage. I could not believe anything he said, he was an alcoholic and literally spent ALL his time in that garage.
                                He has been made homeless 3 times since I broke up with him and I now have an address for him.
                                The ONLY evidence I have is that he used to live there is he claimed housing benefit for himself to pay towards the rent (which was under the landlords name) and his vehicles were insured there.
                                Everything else was legally under my name.
                                We had seperate rooms and shared the bathroom, kitchen, garden and drive.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X