• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Consultation on COURT FEES - N244 up to £255 in APRIL - HAVE YOUR SAY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Consultation on COURT FEES - N244 up to £255 in APRIL - HAVE YOUR SAY

Some examples across the forum.... please add more

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I've made a petition on the gov petition site - they are waiting to approve it at the moment - soon as they do i'll post a link here. People who have signed already are 'sponsors' of the petition.

My petition:
      Not increase the fee for a general application in civil proceedings to £255

The government consulted on proposals to increase court fees in civil claims including a rise in the fees for general applications. The fee is to rise from £155 to £255 for an application on notice. 96% of respondents to that consultation disagreed with the increase yet the government continue.
      Last edited by Amethyst; 24th July 2015, 06:18:AM.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

An older article from the first consultation ( you know the one where 96% of respondents said NO ) http://www.litigationfutures.com/new...plication-fees
        #staysafestayhome

Comment

It is disgrace. I thought the whole point of small claims was to make justice accessible

Comment

It's being slowly chipped away.... as is access to justice across the board - criminal, civil....

We have seen a massive reduction in consumers applying to the court to ask to set aside default judgements (where court papers have never been received) or ask for an order to comply with a CPR 31.14 request ( which wouldn't be necessary if the debt pre-action protocols come in ever! - only the basic documents to evidence the debt are being asked for )... since the rise from £80 to £155 a couple years back.
            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
              Hi,
              I’ve made a petition – will you sign it?
              Click this link to sign the petition:
              [link removed awaiting approval]
              My petition:
              Not increase the fee for a general application in civil proceedings to £255
              The government consulted on proposals to increase court fees in civil claims including a rise in the fees for general applications. The fee is to rise from £155 to £255 for an application on notice. 96% of respondents to that consultation disagreed with the increase yet the government continue.

signed
              Last edited by Amethyst; 24th July 2015, 06:18:AM.

Comment

Good post by [MENTION=551]pt2537[/MENTION] http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...681#post562681
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Signed.

Comment

Increases in court fees will impact access to justice
                    Significant and wide ranging increases in court fees announced by the government yesterday amount to a further assault on access to justice for individuals and small businesses.

The government is proposing further increases in court fees, before there has been any opportunity to assess the impact of the fee increases announced in March.

Law Society president Jonathan Smithers said:

“The government introduced dramatic hikes to court fees just months ago. These latest proposals will increase fees by more than 1,000 per cent for claims of £200,000 or more. They will deny individuals and small businesses access to justice, crippling anyone trying to recover monies owed to them.

“All civil cases, from divorce to landlords trying to get their property back, are affected by these punitive increases which are tantamount to treating justice like a commodity. Justice will be out of reach for many ordinary people. This will only serve to widen the access to justice gap in our two tier justice system.

"The civil courts are the backbone of a fair society and a prosperous economy. I urge the government to look at the wider impact of the Ministry of Justice’s increased fees."

The maximum court fee payable by a claimant was increased to £10,000 in March this year - an increase of nearly 600 per cent for claims of £200,000. The government is now proposing that this fee be doubled, to 'at least' £20,000, which would represent an increase of over 1,000 per cent in under six months. The government will profit from those who can afford to go to court for these cases as the fees charged will far outstrip the cost to the justice system.

Law Society Jonathan Smithers commented on the latest proposal:

"In such a short space of time it is impossible to assess the impact of the first fee increases on access to justice, let alone predict what impact a further increase might have."

The fee changes include (1):

·Blanket increase in cost of civil court cases, from divorce to debt recovery or will disputes

·Cost of claiming compensation

·The cost of divorce

·The cost of reclaiming your property

Government ignores consultation respondents

When the Law Society canvassed solicitors earlier this year they said higher court fees will:

oPut people off going to court when they have genuine claims. Those out of work due to injury caused by negligence would not risk losing what little money they had left on court fees, even if they had a strong claim.
                    oProvide an incentive for large companies to deny liability, knowing that the injured parties would not be in a position to fund expensive court fees. Under the current fees, large companies and insurers often settle out of court when they are clearly liable.
                    oLead to small business insolvency. Unpaid invoices of tens or even hundreds of thousands of pounds mean cash flow and overdrafts are already stretched. For some companies, insolvency will be the only option.

Law Society president Jonathan Smithers further commented: "The court fee increases were opposed by 90 per cent of respondents to the government consultation that preceded yesterday's announcement, making a mockery of the consultation process.

"Solicitors, who support people through court cases that have profound effects on their lives, are absolutely clear that court fee increases spell disaster for access to justice, pricing the public out of the courts and leaving small businesses saddled with debts they are due but unable to afford to recover.

"The government said it would review the impact of the fee increases introduced in March, but in the short time that has passed the effect cannot be adequately assessed. The Law Society will be consulting its members in order to assess the impact of these fees on ordinary people and small businesses."

Ends

Notes to editors

(1)Details of changes to civil court fees

Blanket increase in cost of civil court cases, from divorce to debt recovery or will disputes

Anyone who finds themselves involved in civil proceedings for any reason could be liable for thousands of pounds in new charges as the cost of a general application doubles to £100. The fee for a contested application will increase by over 60 per cent, from £155 per application to £255. In the course of a case, each party may have to make many general applications and so these fee increases will hit some people very hard.

The government also announced a 'general uplift of ten per cent' to a wide range of fees in civil proceedings, further adding to the cost of seeking justice through the courts. These fees amount to a tax on justice.

Punitive cost of claiming compensation

Despite widespread concerns over how fee threshold increases will affect people who have been injured or harmed by clinical negligence and need to seek compensation to fund their care, the £10,000 threshold will apply in these cases. There are undoubtedly some who may no longer be able to afford to seek compensation to fund their care following an injury suffered through no fault of their own.

The cost of divorce

The cost of filing for divorce - something four out of every ten married couples will do - is increasing by £140, from £410 to £550 - an increase of over 34 per cent.
                    The cost of reclaiming your property
                    The cost of moving a tenant out of a property through the courts is increasing by over 25 per cent from £280 to £375. This will impact local authorities, whose budgets are already suffering huge cuts, as well as social landlords who provide vital housing.

Changes in fee thresholds for money claims in UK civil courts from March 2015

Claim range
                    Pre-March 2015 fee March 2015 fee New proposed fee
                    £10,001
                    £15,000
                    £455
                    5% (£500 -£750)
                    No change
                    £15,001
                    £50,000
                    £610
                    5% (£750 - £2,500)
                    No change
                    £50,001
                    £100,000
                    £910
                    5% (£2,500 - £5,000)
                    No change
                    £100,001
                    £150,000
                    £1,115
                    5% (£5,000 - £7,500)
                    No change
                    £150,001
                    £200,000
                    £1,315
                    5% (£7,500 - £10,000)
                    No change
                    £200,001
                    £250,000
                    £1,515
                    £10,000
                    £20,000
                    £250,001
                    £300,000
                    £1,720
                    £10,000
                    £20,000
                    £300,001+
                    £1,920
                    £10,000
                    £20,000

About the Law Society

The Law Society is the independent professional body, established for solicitors in 1825, that works globally to support and represent its members, promoting the highest professional standards and the rule of law.

For further information or to arrange interviews contact:
                    Harriet Beaumont
                    +44 (0)20 7320 5830
                    Harriet.beaumont@lawsociety.org.uk
                    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Signed x 2

xxx
                      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Thanks everyone for signing - soon as I have the proper link I'll post it up then you can share your socks off - the petition is waiting approval at the moment, with 18 signatures already ! THANK YOU xxx I have no idea how long it takes to get it approved, presumably it is done manually so will be sometime during the day tomorrow - If you spot it's gone live then please post the link up wherever you can.

I have concentrated on the application fee as it is the part that affects cases we see on here most dramatically, but please read the consultation too as there's quite a bit of other stuff in there ( like the court max court fee for bringing a claim going up from £10k to £20k .... and the divorce fee going up £140 !! - you know.... small issues like that !)
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Just this minute tried to sign the petition I got this message.......UK Government and Parliament
                          We’re checking this petition

5 people have already supported Sharon Coleman’s petition.
                          We need to check it meets the petition standards before we publish it.
                          Please try again in a few days.

Anyone ideas why I get this message? I can't sign but others have .......more than 5 at the last count 18?

Sparkie

Comment

Thanks Sparks, Yep we have to wait for it to be published. I'll remove the link from the thread now they have closed it for sponsors and put up the full petition link once they approve it ( IF they do!)

MoneyAdvicetrust included (in their consultation response in Feb) a list of where this fee has to be paid

Applications are generally made ex-parte in the following situations.

• to suspend a possession order to pay back mortgage or rent arrears in instalments;
                            • to suspend a warrant of possession for rent or mortgage arrears;
                            • to pay a county court judgment in instalments;
                            • to vary the terms of an instalment order on a county court judgment;
                            • to suspend a warrant of control to stop enforcement agent action;
                            • to pay the warrant in instalments as part of the suspension of a warrant of control;
                            • to ask for a stay of execution in the High Court to suspend a writ of control
                            • to ask for a transfer to your local court for a hearing;
                            • to vary the terms of a charging order or to pay by instalments on a charging order;
                            • to apply for a time order in the course of proceedings for eligible agreements under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (secured loans, hire purchase and conditional sale agreements and unsecured loan agreements);
                            • to set aside a judgment made in error or where there is a defence to the claim;
                            • to vary the terms of an attachment of earnings order or to apply for a consolidated attachment of earnings order.
                            Last edited by Amethyst; 24th July 2015, 07:01:AM.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Page 29 of the consultation ref first tier tribunal for information commisioner .. Ie ref foi ... Introducing charges ??
                              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Petition now live on petition.parliament.uk site , could someone post the link please xxx has about 23 votes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X