• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Student Loans Company / Advantis - alleged grant overpayment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Loans Company / Advantis - alleged grant overpayment

Hello,

A student grant was allegedly overpaid after SLC decided to lose multiple pieces of income evidence and proceeded to 'reassess' the household income (used to determine how much grant you get).

After trying to resolve with the oxygen thieves who work at SLC, I gave up and started ignoring their demand letters. They have now passed the case over to Advantis.

My questions:

1. Can alleged student grant overpayments be considered statue barred after 6 years?

2. Regardless of the answer to 1, is my best route to fight or ignore?

The amount requested is under £1000.

Thanks for your advice.
    Tags: None

Re: Student Loans Company / Advantis - alleged grant overpayment

I presume no-one knows, in which case is there another forum I would be best advised to post to?

Much appreciated.

Comment

1. Yes providing you have not acknowledged or made a payment in that time. In the sense that recovery via legal action would be barred.

2. Answer to that is too dependant on particular circumstances and how you feel about it, to say one way or the other.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

A couple more questions:

3. If I ignore Advantis, will this be to my detriment if the case is eventually taken to court (i.e. would their failed attempts to contact me demonstrate my lack of willingness to co-operate)?

4. Based on past experience, are Advantis particularly litigious - particularly for amounts similar to that requested?

Thanks again.

Comment

Hello,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself. Student Loan have been chasing me some time for an alleged grant overpayment, and the letters have been going to my parents house. I moved out two years ago and the house has been unoccupied for a similar length of time. I occasionally visit to collect any mail, and I have a letter from SLC saying they will pass my case to Advantis, and received today (it was sent on 11th March) a letter from Advantis requesting I contact them otherwise they will take further action within 7 days.

I intend end to write to them to inform them of my new address and ask them to send all correspondence to my new address. Will this alone satisfy the 7 day criteria so I can at least start asking them for more information?

anoymouse123, have you had any further contact from Advantis?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X