• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with legal entitlement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with legal entitlement

Yes I believe that is very true. I now know that no grant of administration has been applied for or given so that is my next move.

Comment

was there an estate worth over 5k when they died ?
      If there was it may not have been sorted yet for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
        was there an estate worth over 5k when they died ?
        If there was it may not have been sorted yet for some reason
        No I believe it would have been below that amount

Comment

I would hazard a guess that all the money has gone sorry to say .
          When there is a death its common for families to dip in before any formalities are complete or in the case of my wifes family one of them tried but was caught out before they got the money which the bank were willing to do and that was over 10k .

Comment

Good morning all.
            Does anyone know of a UK company that does checks on ACTIVE assets....Insurance policies. I need to find out if the policies that I know about were still valid and I can't remember the company names and the family seem to know nothing about them....or just aren't telling me
            Thanks

Comment

The only way I know is to use the Unclaimed Assets Register (www.uar.co.uk). I think there is a £25 charge for using this service.
              Unfortunately there is no complete tracing service operated by the insurance industry, and not all policies will be on the register.

For other assets (Bank, Building Societies and NSI) try http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk . This is a free service.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post
                The only way I know is to use the Unclaimed Assets Register (www.uar.co.uk). I think there is a £25 charge for using this service.
                Unfortunately there is no complete tracing service operated by the insurance industry, and not all policies will be on the register.

For other assets (Bank, Building Societies and NSI) try http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk . This is a free service.

Good luck
                Thanks for that. I contacted UAR and it was them that suggested finding another company that deals with LIVE policies because the death was so recent and the chances are that the companies involved won't know about it yet.

Comment

If your late partner was carrying life insurance the chances are that she was paying premiums.
                  Single premium policies are comparatively rare due to the size of the premium required. You said the estate was small, so i would guess she would not have had the resources to purchase such a policy.
                  I would suggest then that you obtain copies of her bank statements to see if there are payments to a life company which would indicate a policy.
                  You should look back as far as you can, as it is always possible that there is a "paid up " policy in force. So, for example, a policy could have been taken out some time ago, but premiums ceased to be payable two or three years ago, but there is still a sum insured to be claimed.

Comment

If your late partner was carrying life insurance the chances are that she was paying premiums.
                    Single premium policies are comparatively rare due to the size of the premium required. You said the estate was small, so i would guess she would not have had the resources to purchase such a policy.
                    I would suggest then that you obtain copies of her bank statements to see if there are payments to a life company which would indicate a policy.
                    You should look back as far as you can, as it is always possible that there is a "paid up " policy in force. So, for example, a policy could have been taken out some time ago, but premiums ceased to be payable two or three years ago, but there is still a sum insured to be claimed.
                    Yes I believe they were paid up policies. She took some of the money from them a number of years ago and had to leave a certain amount in the funds for her beneficiaries on her death. I believe I was actually named on the policies as her Civil Partner and only beneficiary. I don't have access to her bank accounts at the moment....I have asked for all relevant paperwork.....I know that when she took the money out of the funds it was deposited in her bank so there should be references on the statements. When I will get the relevant bank details I don't know as the family are being really difficult. Thankfully as far as I know they have no knowledge of these policies.

Comment

I can only now reiterate earlier advice about instructing a solicitor.
                      If they don't respond positively to a polite enquiry from him, he might advise you further that it might be possible to obtain a court order forcing them to provide you, the rightful heir, with a full accounting, and copies of all documents.
                      Whether this is possible or viable I don't know, just meanderings!

Comment

I can only now reiterate earlier advice about instructing a solicitor.
                        If they don't respond positively to a polite enquiry from him, he might advise you further that it might be possible to obtain a court order forcing them to provide you, the rightful heir, with a full accounting, and copies of all documents.
                        Whether this is possible or viable I don't know, just meanderings!

Thank you for your thoughts....very helpful

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X