• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help with Rundles.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Rundles.

Whilst I am pleased that you have now decided to contribute on threads that I do, I have to disagree with you. I know numerous foi's where councils state that they do not pass on fees. As stated, some even have this written in contracts. The case that you recently described as "the worst example of obstructing a bailiff" involved bailiffs attending to collect £310 in fees, with the council paid directly and a balance remaining of £0. I'm sure you'll have a pdf of this case stashed somewhere, so you can check for yourself.

I personally would never recommend paying a council directly, as there is no advantage to the debtor. By doing so, the bailiffs will still attend and most likely hold tha account for the entire 12 months permitted. A debtor will always be in a stronger bargaining position with full funds still in their own bank account. Paying direct does not stop bailiff action so there is nothing to be gained by doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by L.Bizzy View Post
      Whilst I am pleased that you have now decided to contribute on threads that I do, I have to disagree with you. I know numerous foi's where councils state that they do not pass on fees.

Could we see some please

Comment

Whilst you are looking here is one of he many which state the real position

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...y_debtor_fo_17

1. "If a debtor pays the Council direct the total amount due to the
        Council plus any bailiff fees that they have incurred, the Council
        will forward the fees to the bailiff.

Comment

I seem to have posted an old link, not to worry there are 60 more here all like this
          https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/paul_smith_23

Since the Taking Control of Goods (fees) Regulations 2014 came into force,

has North Somerset Council handed any monies which a debtor has paid
          directly to the authority in respect of his or her council tax liability
          to its enforcement agent?

Comment

The FOI's are a mixed bunch. There are some amongst that lot who at least claim to pass money on. Over the spread of internet posts though, I've yet to read one real life case where the greedy council has passed on money to the EA. Others state that they don't pass the money on.

In this particular case (as stated by the OP). The worst possible scenario would be refusing entry for a couple of visits before the debt is returned. IF & its a big if, the £75 has been passed on, then the worst that will happen is that the OP owes £75. A figure I suggested earlier that the debtor might offer to pay in full & final settlement. My feeling remains that councils rarely pass these fees on in any case.

As I previously stated, there is no advantage to the debtor in paying the debt minus the fees. I have a template letter for these situations that I'm sure you have read. If the councils wish to create an avoidable delay in funds reaching their bank accounts then that's great-You know how I enjoy seeing payments take as long as possible to reach the councils.

EDIT* I have just read elsewhere that you claim someone on this board has advised a debtor to pay the council directly. Now please allow me to correct you. I have not advised the debtor to pay the council directly. The debtor has already paid the council directly as can be seen clearly in post #1. In addition, I would NEVER advise a debtor to pay a council directly and have stated so, at least twice in this very thread. Hope that clears it up for you?
            Last edited by Kati; 23rd January 2015, 17:28:PM.

Comment

I have to state yet again that I have not sen one which says the money for fees is not passed on, perhaps you could copy and paste it.

Comment

Originally posted by andy58 View Post
                I have to state yet again that I have not sen one which says the money for fees is not passed on, perhaps you could copy and paste it.
                Reigate & Banstead – ref 5283/2014
                If we receive any direct payment from a debtor whose account is with an Enforcement Agent then we advise the Enforcement Agent of the payment that has been made, we do not deduct any fees.

Comment

Watford – no reference, from Colin South Colin.South@watford.gov.u k
                  In this scenario we would advise the Enforcement Agent of the payment made direct to the council. The balance with the council will be nil. The Enforcement Agent would pursue the debtor for their fee's, if any.

Comment

Hastings https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-599661
                    All monies paid to Hastings Borough Council direct from customers in respect of Liability Orders is kept by Hastings Borough Council and not passed to an Enforcement Agent.

There have been no cases where a customer has paid the Authority any Enforcement fees that were due to be paid to our Enforcement Agents and then we have passed those fees on.

Comment

Yes as said I still have not seen any incidents where an authority has not passed on fees, there is not going to be a physical handing over of cash after every transaction, all of the above demonstrate that funds are passed to EAs,

Yes as stated there may not be physical cash, a secretary is not going to run around with a fist full of notes every time a payment is made this from Hull

"Sorry for the confusion in our response to your request for
                      information.

For clarification, Hull City Council does not pass any physical
                      cash (received by us) to the enforcement agents. We have had direct
                      payments made for debts which are with the enforcement agents,
                      however, we do not keep a record of how much or in how many cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                        Hastings https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-599661
                        All monies paid to Hastings Borough Council direct from customers in respect of Liability Orders is kept by Hastings Borough Council and not passed to an Enforcement Agent.

There have been no cases where a customer has paid the Authority any Enforcement fees that were due to be paid to our Enforcement Agents and then we have passed those fees on.
                        This one states that there has been no cases where a customer has paid the authority any fees. so it would be difficult to pass them on

Comment

As said you are trying to ask the same question over and over again in the hope that one of the answers will be vague enough for you to misinterpret.

The fact is that payments to the council are apportioned as stated.

Comment

This one states that there has been no cases where a customer has paid the authority any fees. so it would be difficult to pass them on
                            Well, considering your argument is that direct payments would be used firstly for EA fees, Hastings clearly disagree.

Comment

As said you are trying to ask the same question over and over again in the hope that one of the answers will be vague enough for you to misinterpret.

The fact is that payments to the council are apportioned as stated.
                              I wasn't the one asking the question over and over - I'm not the 'Paul Smith' quoted. Please, please for the benefit of everyone explain how this is misinterpreted that direct payments when fees are due are passed on:

Watford – no reference, from Colin South Colin.South@watford.gov.u k
                              In this scenario we would advise the Enforcement Agent of the payment made direct to the council. The balance with the council will be nil. The Enforcement Agent would pursue the debtor for their fee's, if any.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Al View Post
                                Well, considering your argument is that direct payments would be used firstly for EA fees, Hastings clearly disagree.
                                Not at all they say that the situation has not arisen ? This is a statement of fact not procedure

"There have been no cases where a customer has paid the Authority any Enforcement fees that were due to be paid to our Enforcement Agentsand then we have passed those fees on."

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X