• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Urgent support required RE: Employment contract and notice period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent support required RE: Employment contract and notice period

I am desperate to leave my job as Newly Qualified Teacher but I am unclear about how long my notice period should be. The statutory notice period for teachers is two months.

However, my contract states that:

"All newly qualified teachers will be subject to the successful completion of a statutory minimum induction period of normally three school terms in accordance with The Education Regulations 1999 and any amending regulation.s These documents are available for reference at your school. Absence for an aggregate period of 30 or more school days will normally cause the induction period to be extended.

If the induction period has not been satisfactorily completed, notice for terminating service will be one month.

Except in the case of summary dismissal, or the failure to satisfactorily complete the induction period, the periods of notice for terminating service by either side shall be as stated in this clause. The statutory minimum period of notice will be given by the County Council when greater than the notice period.

The notice period for teachers shall be two moths for the Autumn and Spring terms and three months for the Summer term, expiring at the end of term."

I would be so grateful if someone could confirm whether this means I, as an NQT and having not yet completed my induction period, could leave with one months notice.

Your advice would be invaluable.

Re: Urgent support required RE: Employment contract and notice period

Hi welcome,
    Have you discussed this with your line manager within the school?
    If you have not completed the induction it seems 1 month is the notice period.

nem

Comment

Thank you so much for this reply. Unfortunately it is a small school and my line manager is the head teacher and the main cause of my problems

I completely agree that it seems as though the notice period is 1 month. I am only concerned as the clause relating to giving one months notice does not state that it applies to either side, unlike the paragraph below. I am hoping that this does not matter.

Comment

Hold on there - "If the induction period has not been satisfactorily completed, notice for terminating service will be one month." - Sorry that says to me if after you have completed the induction period your employer is not happy with your performance, then they can give you one months notice that they (your employer) will be terminating your employment. Not the other way round.

You can not give less than the statutory minimum notice period yourself when resigning. Only way round this is to talk to your employer and agree a mutually agreed termination of your contract!

To be honest though, i think the main issue here is... Why are you so desperate to leave your job? You have worked so hard to get to this point and spent years studying for this opportunity. So whats the real issue here? Tell us whats going on with the headteacher and yourself and i guarantee we can help you and put a stop to it!
        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X